3 speed fixed hub

  • Jim Bradford
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
      I want a 3 speed fixed hub, I've got 5 a speed sturmey late 70's steel hub.
      Has anyone converted theirs or are new 3 sp fixed available yet? Where?

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
        Jim;

        A quick Google search does not yet list anyone yet having the Sturmey Archer S3X hub for sale yet. Hopefully it will be available in the next month or two. I would expect first shipment priority will be for any bike manufacturers who have placed sizeable orders.

        Member Mike Bullis has done conversions of a SA 5 speed hub to a 3 speed FG hub as I recall from earlier posts. He has an article in the Files area on converting a 3 speed SA hub to a 2 speed FG and as I recall has mentioned in an earlier post the additional steps to convert a 5 speed to a 3 speed FG hub and the best 5 speed version to use.

        If you cannot find the post an email direct to him should get you the needed conversion info.

        Occasionally an original SA 3 speed FG hub, the ASC, shows up on eBay. Usually expensive and if not in good condition you may be stuck as spares for it are quite scarce so far as I know.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Jim Bradford <jimcycle70@...> wrote:

        > I want a 3 speed fixed hub, I've got 5 a speed sturmey late 70's steel hub.
        > Has anyone converted theirs or are new 3 sp fixed available yet? Where?

      • Mike Bullis
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
          Jim,
          Converting a 5sp to a 3sp fixed isn't a big deal, but unless you have machining skills, it will require parts from both a 5sp S5 or S5/2 and a 4sp FW hub.
          You need the 5sp primary sun gear with straight cut teeth and the shifting mech of the 4sp to pull the low gear side over to engage it.
          There is also the issue of 'slop'. If you can't live with it, it will require the machining and hardening of a special sliding clutch to eliminate slop in 2nd and low. The clutch drawing and fixed info can be found here
          http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/fixed.pdf
          I use a much simpler system of locking the planet cage than shown in the above article that only requires a dremel with cut-off wheels and RA grinder. I've done it on nine hubs and one of my two speed hubs has 3000+ miles on it and still going.
          I can talk you through this, I made mine in an afternoon.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
            At 10:43 AM 4/5/2009, Mike Bullis wrote:.
            >You need the 5sp primary sun gear with straight cut teeth

            I have those N.O.S. for $10

            Mark Stonich;
            BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
            5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
            Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
            http://mnhpva.org
          • Jim Bradford
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
              Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so what does N.O.S. mean and do you have trigger I will need to modify?  Or can you suggest some other way to shift.  I will be making a frame to fit this setup.  By the way I made frames from 74 to 89 for my living and other bike projects and have only dabbled since but still have stuff to make bikes.  I have metalworking business and if you need some material or something I would be happy to help.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
                Jim;

                N.O.S. = new old stock as in new but older discontinued items.

                Rich Wood

                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Jim Bradford <jimcycle70@...> wrote:

                > Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so what does N.O.S. mean and do you have trigger I will need to modify?  Or can you suggest some other way to shift.  I will be making a frame to fit this setup.  By the way I made frames from 74 to 89 for my living and other bike projects and have only dabbled since but still have stuff to make bikes.  I have metalworking business and if you need some material or something I would be happy to help.

              • prester_john_in_cathay
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
                  The most appealing conversion I've seen is the SRAM P5 to fixed three-speed:

                  http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/grahamwebster/TECHNICAL_ARTICLE_SRAM_P5.pdf

                  or

                  http://tinyurl.com/8aq8gc

                  (.pdf download)

                  PJ
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
                    At  4/5/2009 05:24 PM -0700, Jim Bradford  wrote:
                    Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so what does N.O.S. mean

                    New Old Stock

                     and do you have trigger I will need to modify?  Or can you suggest some other way to shift.

                    AFAIK, this conversion uses a 4 speed trigger, unmodified.  But if you try to do this starting with a 5 speed you will need to source scarce 4 speed parts to make it work - indicator rods, springs and spring collars.  Better to start with a 4 speed.  Then all you need is a 5 speed sun.

                    Personally, I'd wait for the S3X.

                     I will be making a frame to fit this setup.  By the way I made frames from 74 to 89 for my living and other bike projects and have only dabbled since but still have stuff to make bikes.

                    Sorry but I don't recognize your name.  What brand name was on your bikes or were you with Trek or.....

                    I haven't built a non-recumbent frame in quite a while but now I have a challenge.  I want to build my wife a very light bike, but she needs a low step-over height.  She hurt her knee and now has a hard time mounting the mixte I built her in '79.
                    http://bikesmithdesign.com/MyBikes/mixte/Mixte2.jpg

                    I have metalworking business and if you need some material or something I would be happy to help.

                    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  Where are you located?

                    Mark Stonich;
                      BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                        5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:

                      > At 4/5/2009 05:24 PM -0700, Jim Bradford wrote:
                      > >Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so
                      > >what does N.O.S. mean
                      >
                      > New Old Stock
                      >
                      > > and do you have trigger I will need to modify? Or can you suggest
                      > > some other way to shift.
                      >
                      > AFAIK, this conversion uses a 4 speed trigger, unmodified. But if
                      > you try to do this starting with a 5 speed you will need to source
                      > scarce 4 speed parts to make it work - indicator rods, springs and
                      > spring collars. Better to start with a 4 speed. Then all you need
                      > is a 5 speed sun.

                      I've found that a friction shifter works well on the 3sp conversion. I've been running one since 06. Full back is 1st, anywhere betwixt full back and vertical is 2nd, straight up verticle is neutral(nice for that long down hill), and full forward is 3rd.
                      I'd suppose that the friction shifter would work on the two speed conversion as well.

                      Mike