Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Nothing really new in bicycle design.

  • js montes
    Message 1 of 73 , Jun 7, 2013

    In general , I agree with Aaron that very little has been added to the bike design known  before 1910.
    As for the claims about the Moulton, here is the great pioneer Velocio in his small-wheeled bike, late 1920's
    If I remember correctly , the original reference mentioned that the balloon tyres for this bike
    were made in England , there must have been other, similar bikes made at the time.
    And the wide section obviated the need for suspension...

    Sergio Montes
    ( A SpeedSix Moulton Owner)

    Message 73 of 73 , Jun 11, 2013
      Velocio's experiments don't really lead into Alex Moulton's work. I've long suspected that Dr. Moulton was inspired by the designs of Corradino D'Ascanio, who in turn based his advancements on earlier work done by Cushman.