Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Alfine8 belt drive - seeking advice

  • Cycle Monkey
    Message 1 of 73 , May 27, 2013
      Belts and pulleys are easy to change.  The most common pulley size on a Shimano IGH is 24T, but a 22T is also available. You can get a 55T or a 60T front pulley if you still need higher top end.

      Neil

      On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM, David Chamberlin <dchamberlin@...> wrote:

      Having been given a large amount of $$ to spend on a bike at REI (gift cert's), and wanting to take advantage of their big annual sale, I ordered two bikes!  One was a Raleigh Detour Deluxe with 8-speed hub and belt drive.  I got excited about it largely because of the advertised specs of 50T chain ring and 20T rear cog, but looking into it a little deeper I'm pretty sure the "20T" was a typo or something.  If it turns out to be 24T, I'm inclined to send it back for full credit.  Unless someone can convince me that I can change one or both cogs to a ratio more to my liking.

      More background: The other stock bikes I have test ridden with 8-speeds (Breezer and Electra something) left me cold, because they're geared so low (34:18, as I recall, for the Breezer) that you have to use an overdrive gear to make any speed on level road, and that just seems wrong.  My old 3-speed Raleigh (AW) is 48:18, which I like very much.  Yeah, someday I'll have a touring bike with a Rohloff, but that's out of reach for now.

      Oh, and my last post may have been something like 3 years ago. (Thanks for your patience!)

      David Chamberlin

      --
      Neil Flock
      Owner

      Cycle Monkey
      * Rohloff Service Partner
      * Custom Wheelbuilding
      * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
        Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
        Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
        Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

      www.cyclemonkey.com
      cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
      Albany, CA 94706
      510-868-1777
      Message 73 of 73 , Jun 11, 2013
        Velocio's experiments don't really lead into Alex Moulton's work. I've long suspected that Dr. Moulton was inspired by the designs of Corradino D'Ascanio, who in turn based his advancements on earlier work done by Cushman.