Re: Grinding cups and cones

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Message 1 of 16 , May 25, 2013
      problem with that hub is the rollers were rusted.

      The cup in the hub is easy to resurface, but you have to remove the hub from the spokes.

      Another problem with the Shimano hubs and rust is the tiny springs that retract the roller cage. They break if they get rusty.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Irvine Short <irvine.short@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Mike,
      >
      > It is unlikely I will find a place with such a fancy machine. When you say
      > "custom bearing" do you mean custom ball sizes?
      >
      > Aaron, one of my hubs looked a lot like the one at the top of this page
      > http://www.rideyourbike.com/shimanoIGH.shtml
      >
      > Would it not have been worth grinding this one?
      >
      > --Irvine

    • Irvine Short
      Message 2 of 16 , May 26, 2013
        Thanks Aaron and everyone else,I have learned an awful lot about these things in the last 2 weeks - the main thing being that they are not nearly as hard to work on as I first thought.

        What are the symptoms of broken springs in the roller cage? The one hub that I opened was so rusty that the roller cage was not moving at all when I first took it out but freed up after swishing it around in paraffin/kerosene.

        I test rode it and apart from a rumbling bearing it works 100%. I bought a bag of 3/16th balls last week, I'll see how it sounds with those in it and if that does not quiet it down I'll find a machinist to grind the cup for me.

        It's been a real pleasure buying these ex touring company bikes for a song - about $110 - and getting them going perfectly for a very small outlay. My daughters are thrilled, these bikes are real quality compared to their old bikes. Never again will I buy something quite so cheap - better to keep an eye on the classifieds and buy used if you are on a budget.

        On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM, aarons_bicycle_repair <aaron@...> wrote:
        problem with that hub is the rollers were rusted.

        The cup in the hub is easy to resurface, but you have to remove the hub from the spokes.

        Another problem with the Shimano hubs and rust is the tiny springs that retract the roller cage.  They break if they get rusty.

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Irvine Short <irvine.short@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Mike,
        >
        > It is unlikely I will find a place with such a fancy machine. When you say
        > "custom bearing" do you mean custom ball sizes?
        >
        > Aaron, one of my hubs looked a lot like the one at the top of this page
        > http://www.rideyourbike.com/shimanoIGH.shtml
        >
        > Would it not have been worth grinding this one?
        >
        > --Irvine

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Geared_hub_bikes-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Geared_hub_bikes-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rons_hobbies
        Message 3 of 16 , May 28, 2013
          I would rather not speculate, I only passed on what I read in Popular Mechanics. But a rack and pinion isn't as complicated as a ring and pinion for a differential.

          Ron

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:
          <Snip>
          > I'm surprised that Leno made comments about not finding access to basic machine tools in the US. There are certainly lots of custom shops, CNC and manual, who can make a custom rack and pinion. Perhaps he didn't want to pay US wages.
          >
          > alex
          <Snip>