Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Shimano 8 speed bearing query

  • Irvine Short
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22 10:22 AM
      On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:
      I don't recommend "Popping the balls out of their
      cage" and adding more to fill the void.  Better
      to use all new balls from the same
      package.

      Ah right.

      I meant "Pop the balls out of their cage and fill it with identical new balls"

    • Rick Paulos
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22 10:31 AM
        Ah, that works if the cage isn't too tough. Try
        to not bend the tabs. Usually it's easier to just put in loose ball bearings.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 22 10:32 AM
          OK, thanks, I will give that a try. Fill it up and take one out, right?

          If the cone and cup is not 100% will more balls help?

          At 12:22 PM 5/22/2013, you wrote:

          >On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Rick Paulos
          ><<mailto:rick-paulos@...>rick-paulos@...> wrote:
          >I don't recommend "Popping the balls out of their
          >cage" and adding more to fill the void.  Better
          >to use all new balls from the same
          >package.
          >

          >Ah right.
          >
          >I meant "Pop the balls out of their cage and fill it with identical new balls"

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Geared_hub_bikes-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Geared_hub_bikes-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Rick Paulos
          Message 4 of 6 , May 22 10:53 AM
            depends on the diameter of the cup.

            For small cups fill until binding - then remove one.
            For large cups with tiny balls, fill until binding - remove 2.