Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Sturmey Archer's 8 speed

  • pranza
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2013
      Hi Ian!

      I knew that anniversary Moulton 50 (aka stainless Bridgestone Moulton) had
      Alfine 11.
      I fitted Alfine 11 to my TSR8 two years ago after visiting Fudges cycle
      store in London. I told shopkeeper my idea of changing Sturmey 8 to a
      Rohloff and he said "dont be stupid, get an Alfine for half the price and
      mount it without any modifications to cable route (as Rohloff has two cables
      instead of one and they're at the opposite side)"
      so I followed his advice and got myself that hub from german ebay after
      returning home. It was less than 300 Eur for it new and all extra bits and
      pieces (switcher, cables and "small parts" which are screws, required type
      of spacers and switching mechanic that goes onto hub). OEM prices for cycle
      manufacturers must be even lower, because I've seen some new bikes equipped
      with that hub that go almost for a retail price of the hub (500 Eur).

      Now as you said that Moulton are about to use this hub for TSR, I think it's
      very welcome, because Sturmey for that kind of bike was somewhat a very
      "budget" choice. There's already custom TSR being offered:
      http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=252256
      I guess that default Shimano's chainring that they use makes gearing too
      low. I bought a 55T chainring for myself and now it's really enough :)