Re: chipped alfine

  • Bruce Gilmore
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2013
      Probably about a couple thousand miles, first thousand with 42/16 then more recently 56/16, laced into a set of 406 rims, I weight about 80kg and usually 5kg of water/lock, plus sometimes another 5kg of shopping in my backpack. I used it mainly for short runs round town where I was often stopped at red lights, then standing hard on the pedals accelerating upon green. I took the bike via plane to BC a couple of times and biked some very steep backroads, sometimes 20mins of standing up cranking in 1st, so it's not had the easiest of lives. Although the guts have been dunked in oil twice already and this time was to be the 3rd service. I always try to unload the pedals a bit to change gear, and over the last couple of years I have another bike with an S7 which needs a momentary zero load to shift, so probably got better at shifting under lower loads since then

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bikealfa" <mtwils@...> wrote:

      > Just curious - about how many miles, what kind of service (trailers, other loads, hills, power shifting)?
      >
      > Michael Wilson
      >
      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Gilmore" <irn_bru_ce@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was changing out the ball retainers in my alfine(501) today when under the shifting mechanism I found a small fragment of metal. I'm not sure of the exact terminaology of the name of the part, but think my hub will require new guts as I don't think shimano will sell the part
      > >
      > > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/22996827/sn/768089986/name/Image2357.jpg
      > > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/22996827/sn/793885891/name/Image2355.jpg
      > >
      > > If these links dont work then please look at the last 2 pics in my folder in this group
      > >
      > > By the way, is there a trick to reassembling the spring which tensions the shift mechanism, it came apart so easy but I couldn't work out how to get it back together

    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2013
        that failure is caused by loose axle nuts. Remember use grease and torque each nut to 35 foot-pounds!