Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] SRAM iMotion3 problem

  • Zack B
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2013
      After I detonated the IM3 coaster brake on my Swobo Otis, the hub would completely lock up in 3rd gear.

      By stripping and rebuilding it a few times I was able to get it to function in 3rd gear again.
      I am not exactly sure what the difference was, but getting the planetary gear carrier properly situated seems to a have been important.

      See page 45, step 17, #53 &54 here:

      http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/sram-techmanual-my10-gearhubsystems-english-reva.pdf

      On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM, hubmanholland <hubstripping@...> wrote:

      HELP!

      I've just stripped and cleaned a SRAM i-Motion 3 (post 2007 version where the shifter cable goes into the hub innards) but I have a problem that is foxing me. I think it is something to do with the pawls but can't track it down.

      When the shifter cable is pulled (3rd gear) the wheel will only make maximum a half rotation and then locks up. Fortunately I haven't tried to actually ride it yet or I would probably have wrecked it. Anyone know what have I put back wrong?

      Is this something to do with the driver assembly? There is a sort of sheath that moves with the clutch and covers two of the pawls. What I don't really understand is why there are two sets of two pawls on the driver unit that face in opposite directions. Can someone explain this to me?

      Shame there isn't better information for this hub on the web. I can only find the SRAM PDFs which are a bit short on detail in comparison to the Shimano Tech Docs.

      Thanks for any pointers!

      Simon

      --
      -Zack
    • hubmanholland
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2013
        Dear all,

        Thanks for your advice. I also found that on the fourth or fifth rebuild it all seemed to just work. I am not aware that I changed anything or did anything different. Odd business.

        Just a couple of final niggles. Firstly, to lock the brake side bearing you need at least one thin flat 22mm spanner, which I don't have, as there are two thin 22mm lock nuts.

        Secondly, despite thoroughly greasing it, the coaster brake is squeaking like train horn when applied! I've re-greased several simple gear-less coaster brakes in this way in the past and not had this issue. Will this improve with use?

        Simon

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

        > After I detonated the IM3 coaster brake on my Swobo Otis, the hub would
        > completely lock up in 3rd gear.
        >
        > By stripping and rebuilding it a few times I was able to get it to function
        > in 3rd gear again.
        > I am not exactly sure what the difference was, but getting the planetary
        > gear carrier properly situated seems to a have been important.
        >
        > See page 45, step 17, #53 &54 here:
        >
        > http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/sram-techmanual-my10-gearhubsystems-english-reva.pdf
        >

        > On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM, hubmanholland
        > <hubstripping@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > HELP!
        > >
        > > I've just stripped and cleaned a SRAM i-Motion 3 (post 2007 version where
        > > the shifter cable goes into the hub innards) but I have a problem that is
        > > foxing me. I think it is something to do with the pawls but can't track it
        > > down.
        > >
        > > When the shifter cable is pulled (3rd gear) the wheel will only make
        > > maximum a half rotation and then locks up. Fortunately I haven't tried to
        > > actually ride it yet or I would probably have wrecked it. Anyone know what
        > > have I put back wrong?
        > >
        > > Is this something to do with the driver assembly? There is a sort of
        > > sheath that moves with the clutch and covers two of the pawls. What I don't
        > > really understand is why there are two sets of two pawls on the driver unit
        > > that face in opposite directions. Can someone explain this to me?
        > >
        > > Shame there isn't better information for this hub on the web. I can only
        > > find the SRAM PDFs which are a bit short on detail in comparison to the
        > > Shimano Tech Docs.
        > >
        > > Thanks for any pointers!
        > >
        > > Simon
        > >

        > --
        > -Zack

      • Zack B
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2013
          Try spraying the coaster brake parts with wd-40 before greasing them.

          --
          -Zack