Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] New IGH offerings in pipeline

  • David Chase
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2013
      On 2013-05-02, at 10:53 AM, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

      > 2200 grams for the SRAM G8!
      >
      > That's 50% heavier than the Shimano Alfine 8 or a Rohloff, neither of which are light.

      Maybe they heard me whining about the weight weenies.
      Perhaps this one won't break.

      David
    • Alex Wetmore
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2013
        From: David Chase [dr2chase@...]
        > Maybe they heard me whining about the weight weenies.
        > Perhaps this one won't break.

        How many Rohloffs have you broken?

        alex
      • David Chase
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2013
          On 2013-05-02, at 2:58 PM, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

          > From: David Chase [dr2chase@...]
          > > Maybe they heard me whining about the weight weenies.
          > > Perhaps this one won't break.
          >
          > How many Rohloffs have you broken?

          None yet.
          But SRAM might be aiming for somewhat cheaper manufacturing tolerances.
          Or they might be imagining a market with e-bikes in it; technically, me plus a chain-drive e-assist is well over the line for a even a Rohloff.
          Or both.

          David
        • Alex Wetmore
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2013
            From: David Chase [dr2chase@...]
            > Or they might be imagining a market with e-bikes in it; technically, me plus a chain-drive e-
            > assist is well over the line for a even a Rohloff.

            "No tandems" also means no electric chain drive. If they can't handle the torque of two humans they won't handle the torque of a human and 500+ watt electric motor.

            alex
          • Cycle Monkey
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2013
              Rohloff is officially rated for tandems and up to 800W e-bikes as long as the input torque limit is maintained.  Optibike is selling 1200W Rohloff e-bikes, maybe even 1500W by now and reports no problems!

              Neil

              --
              Neil Flock
              Owner

              Cycle Monkey
              * Rohloff Service Partner
              * Custom Wheelbuilding
              * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
                Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
                Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
                Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

              www.cyclemonkey.com
              cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
              Albany, CA 94706