Re: trigger for the sturmey archer ASC hub

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
      the modern SA shifters have not ID markings.
      You have to look at the pictures and compare or get one new in a package.

      The 3 speed fixed hub is dangerous to use. It can enter a freewheel mode between gears. The shifter is not precise. You may find yourself with your gonads on the top tube when you need to be moving like entering an intersection.

      We tested the "proto-type" and found it very unsatisfactory. The production version does not seem to be any different.

      We recommend the use of 2 rim brakes. Do not use it brakeless!

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "john" <John.Burridge@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know the correct trigger for the SA ASC three speed fixed hub.
      >
      > I wonder has anyone compared the new S3X compared with the ASC how simalar are they internally
      >
      > Look forward for an answer.
      >
      > Regards John

    • Michael Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
        I did not like my ASC with the 4 speed trigger and the ASC indicator.  I did that for a while initially.  The 3rd gear position of the trigger felt like it was almost but not guaranteed to be a neutral, and I never have been a precise enough shifter to keep out of a particular gear shifter position, and I was a hard rider who wanted to be able to pound the pedals without breaking anything.  And I still want to do that, despite not being anywhere near as strong as I was.

        As to the comparison - I was comparing the ASC to the S3X (as the original questioner asked), which as I say share almost no components, not the ASC to the FC, which as you say share almost all components.

        Michael Wilson

        On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Hilary Stone <hilary.stone@...> wrote:

        On 26/04/2013 13:40, bikealfa wrote:

        "easiest" way is to use a 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator in the
        hub; 2nd and 3rd on the trigger are the same gear. 2nd easiest way is to
        grind the 4 speed trigger so it does not stay in 3rd gear. If you are
        skilled a friction derailleur shifter is used by some, but I would not
        do it. I have seen but I forget where instructions for modifying an
        ordinary 3 speed shifter. Basically you need 2 shifts about the same
        length, so a shift pull converter pulley and any equal-shift shifter
        could work; no I have not tried that with the ASC but my T uses that. My
        ASC uses the 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator; I put that together
        around 1978.

        You should continue to use the ASC indicator even if using a 4-speed trigger. If you use positions 4, 2 and 1 on the 4spd trigger and set the indicator up on 2nd gear as usual your gear will work perfectly.

        Internally the only similarity is that both are the bottom 3 gears of a
        related 5 speed (although when the ASC came out, the related hub was
        only a 4 speed; the 5 speed came later). And the cones interchange, and
        maybe you can swap right ball cups if you get creative ...

        This is not true – the only unique parts to the ASC are the LH pressed-in ball cup, the gear ring and planet pinions cage and indicator. All the other parts are shared with other Sturmey hubs. The planet pinions are AW, the low gear pinions and cage, low gear clutch, spring set, and the axle are same as used in the AC, FC and FM hubs. The main clutch is the same as used in all A and F series Sturmeys.

        The three ratios of the ASC are the same as the bottom three ratios of an FC (4spd close ratio) gear.

        Hilary Stone, Cwm, Ebbw Vale, British Isles

        www.Hilarystone.com
        Period bicycle frames & parts