2-cross or 3-cross for 36-hole Nexus hub

  • vredstein
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30 3:38 AM
      I'd appreciate it if those of you with 26", 36-hole hubs could share your experience with wheels built either 2-cross or 3-cross. I'm a fairly light rider, 145 lbs, and the wheel will be used strictly for commuting. I have an idea 2-cross would be fine, especially using a strong Mavic 317 rm and good quality Wheelsmith DB spokes and brass nipples. Using the 2-cross spoke pattern on a 26" rim and large flange diameter hub provide the spokes with a straighter angle from the rim to the hubs. Building 3-cross would make a stronger wheel, but potentially weaker in that the spokes at the nipple end would wind up being set at a more extreme angle.
    • Mike Bullis
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30 5:51 AM
        I don't see a problem with either set up. Given your svelte 145lbs and choice of 26" wheels, this shouldn't even be an issue. I'm riding the Alfine 24 spoke wheel with 700x38 tires and I tip the scales at 225lbs. My commute this winter has been a tad on the rough side and I've experienced nada problems.

        Mike

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "vredstein" <stuckinscranton@...> wrote:

        > I'd appreciate it if those of you with 26", 36-hole hubs could share your experience with wheels built either 2-cross or 3-cross. I'm a fairly light rider, 145 lbs, and the wheel will be used strictly for commuting. I have an idea 2-cross would be fine, especially using a strong Mavic 317 rm and good quality Wheelsmith DB spokes and brass nipples. Using the 2-cross spoke pattern on a 26" rim and large flange diameter hub provide the spokes with a straighter angle from the rim to the hubs. Building 3-cross would make a stronger wheel, but potentially weaker in that the spokes at the nipple end would wind up being set at a more extreme angle.

      • palatine_ej
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30 6:15 AM
          > I don't see a problem with either set up.

          I agree, it's been my experience that spokes break at the hub, not the nipple. 3X is a little softer ride, if that's a concern.
        • shedborn
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30 6:46 AM
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@...> wrote:

            > > I don't see a problem with either set up.
            >
            > I agree, it's been my experience that spokes break at the hub, not the nipple. 3X is a little softer ride, if that's a concern.

            I Have been building wheels for around 9 months now about 4-5 pairs a week.

            I built my first pair 36 hole good Ambrosio clincher rims took them through winter and Im what they term in the UK a bit of a lump.
            Our roads are not great in the countryside no problems.
            Just using stainless steel standard guage spokes the key is even tension and a good double skinned eyleted rim.

            Ambrosio are up there with the best of them

            shaun
          • Rob Nutt
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30 6:07 PM
              I have 36 hole, 26 inch rims that are laced 3 cross to a Sram i-9 hub. Some of the spokes are at a pretty extreme angle. I wish I would have gone 2 cross, but I wasn't building the wheels and my wheel builder assured me they would be fine. I'll try to get some pics up in the photo section.

              Rob