Re: trigger for the sturmey archer ASC hub

  • bikealfa
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 5:40 AM
      The ASC trigger is harder to find than the ASC; not sure why.

      "easiest" way is to use a 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator in the hub; 2nd and 3rd on the trigger are the same gear. 2nd easiest way is to grind the 4 speed trigger so it does not stay in 3rd gear. If you are skilled a friction derailleur shifter is used by some, but I would not do it. I have seen but I forget where instructions for modifying an ordinary 3 speed shifter. Basically you need 2 shifts about the same length, so a shift pull converter pulley and any equal-shift shifter could work; no I have not tried that with the ASC but my T uses that. My ASC uses the 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator; I put that together around 1978.

      Internally the only similarity is that both are the bottom 3 gears of a related 5 speed (although when the ASC came out, the related hub was only a 4 speed; the 5 speed came later). And the cones interchange, and maybe you can swap right ball cups if you get creative ...

      Michael Wilson, in eastern MA.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "john" <John.Burridge@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know the correct trigger for the SA ASC three speed fixed hub.
      >
      > I wonder has anyone compared the new S3X compared with the ASC how simalar are they internally
      >
      > Look forward for an answer.
      >
      > Regards John

    • Hilary Stone
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26 9:48 AM
        On 26/04/2013 13:40, bikealfa wrote:

        > "easiest" way is to use a 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator in the
        > hub; 2nd and 3rd on the trigger are the same gear. 2nd easiest way is to
        > grind the 4 speed trigger so it does not stay in 3rd gear. If you are
        > skilled a friction derailleur shifter is used by some, but I would not
        > do it. I have seen but I forget where instructions for modifying an
        > ordinary 3 speed shifter. Basically you need 2 shifts about the same
        > length, so a shift pull converter pulley and any equal-shift shifter
        > could work; no I have not tried that with the ASC but my T uses that. My
        > ASC uses the 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator; I put that together
        > around 1978.

        You should continue to use the ASC indicator even if using a 4-speed
        trigger. If you use positions 4, 2 and 1 on the 4spd trigger and set the
        indicator up on 2nd gear as usual your gear will work perfectly.

        > Internally the only similarity is that both are the bottom 3 gears of a
        > related 5 speed (although when the ASC came out, the related hub was
        > only a 4 speed; the 5 speed came later). And the cones interchange, and
        > maybe you can swap right ball cups if you get creative ...

        This is not true – the only unique parts to the ASC are the LH
        pressed-in ball cup, the gear ring and planet pinions cage and
        indicator. All the other parts are shared with other Sturmey hubs. The
        planet pinions are AW, the low gear pinions and cage, low gear clutch,
        spring set, and the axle are same as used in the AC, FC and FM hubs. The
        main clutch is the same as used in all A and F series Sturmeys.

        The three ratios of the ASC are the same as the bottom three ratios of
        an FC (4spd close ratio) gear.

        Hilary Stone, Cwm, Ebbw Vale, British Isles

        www.Hilarystone.com
        Period bicycle frames & parts
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26 10:04 AM
          Has anyone compared the gear to gear cable pulls of the ASC and the S3X?

          They don't look at all "vintage", for those who care about such things, but the S3X shifters work quite nicely.

          Sent from my iPad (As if that's still supposed to impress anyone :-)

          Mark Stonich Bikesmith Design
          612-824-2372
          5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis MN 55417
          www.bikesmithdesign.com

          On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Hilary Stone <Hilary.stone@...> wrote:

          > On 26/04/2013 13:40, bikealfa wrote:
          >>
          >> "easiest" way is to use a 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator in the
          >> hub; 2nd and 3rd on the trigger are the same gear. 2nd easiest way is to
          >> grind the 4 speed trigger so it does not stay in 3rd gear. If you are
          >> skilled a friction derailleur shifter is used by some, but I would not
          >> do it. I have seen but I forget where instructions for modifying an
          >> ordinary 3 speed shifter. Basically you need 2 shifts about the same
          >> length, so a shift pull converter pulley and any equal-shift shifter
          >> could work; no I have not tried that with the ASC but my T uses that. My
          >> ASC uses the 4 speed trigger and 4 speed indicator; I put that together
          >> around 1978.
          >
          > You should continue to use the ASC indicator even if using a 4-speed
          > trigger. If you use positions 4, 2 and 1 on the 4spd trigger and set the
          > indicator up on 2nd gear as usual your gear will work perfectly.
          >>
          >> Internally the only similarity is that both are the bottom 3 gears of a
          >> related 5 speed (although when the ASC came out, the related hub was
          >> only a 4 speed; the 5 speed came later). And the cones interchange, and
          >> maybe you can swap right ball cups if you get creative ...
          >
          > This is not true – the only unique parts to the ASC are the LH
          > pressed-in ball cup, the gear ring and planet pinions cage and
          > indicator. All the other parts are shared with other Sturmey hubs. The
          > planet pinions are AW, the low gear pinions and cage, low gear clutch,
          > spring set, and the axle are same as used in the AC, FC and FM hubs. The
          > main clutch is the same as used in all A and F series Sturmeys.
          >
          > The three ratios of the ASC are the same as the bottom three ratios of
          > an FC (4spd close ratio) gear.
          >

          > Hilary Stone, Cwm, Ebbw Vale, British Isles
          >
          > www.Hilarystone.com
          > Period bicycle frames & parts

          > Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting
          > http://www.doteasy.com
        • aarons_bicycle_repair
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26 1:37 PM
            the modern SA shifters have not ID markings.
            You have to look at the pictures and compare or get one new in a package.

            The 3 speed fixed hub is dangerous to use. It can enter a freewheel mode between gears. The shifter is not precise. You may find yourself with your gonads on the top tube when you need to be moving like entering an intersection.

            We tested the "proto-type" and found it very unsatisfactory. The production version does not seem to be any different.

            We recommend the use of 2 rim brakes. Do not use it brakeless!

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "john" <John.Burridge@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know the correct trigger for the SA ASC three speed fixed hub.
            >
            > I wonder has anyone compared the new S3X compared with the ASC how simalar are they internally
            >
            > Look forward for an answer.
            >
            > Regards John

          • Michael Wilson