Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] two speed chain sets very old and new!!!!!

  • jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22 4:47 PM
      John --  thanks for the links, it's great to get a closeup look at a bike like the Sunbeam. With it's gears bathed in  "the little oil bath", I bet it represented the height of cycling tech at the time. It's owner(s) did a heckuva fine job restoring and preserving it!!

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23 10:38 PM
        Hi Jim,
        As well as the modern compared with the old look at the price in 1903 only 44 shillings= £2.20 in todays money!!!

        John

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, jim <jimbofla1138@...> wrote:

        > John --  thanks for the links, it's great to get a closeup look at a bike like the Sunbeam. With it's gears bathed in  "the little oil bath", I bet it represented the height of cycling tech at the time. It's owner(s) did a heckuva fine job restoring and preserving it!!

      • Irvine Short
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24 1:41 AM
          On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM, john <John.Burridge@...> wrote:
          Hi Jim,
          As well as the modern compared with the old look at the price in 1903 only 44 shillings= £2.20 in todays money!!!

          Heh. And how long would it have taken, say, a postman, to earn 44 shillings?