two speed chain sets very old and new!!!!!

  • john
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
      I recently was looking at new innovation from Sram and came across their two speed chain set ie:top gear direct gear,Lower gear driven through an epicyclic gearing.

      I was aware of a similar gear system which was done in 1903 by Sunbeam

      Links to the Sram web site

      http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Truvativ-HammerSchmidt-Preview-2008.html

      The original sunbeam two speed chain set

      http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1902-1903/1903-sunbeam-royal-fb-gents-roadster/

      The re-inventing the wheel comes to mind!!!

      Regards

      John Burridge
    • jim

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
          Hi Jim,
          As well as the modern compared with the old look at the price in 1903 only 44 shillings= £2.20 in todays money!!!

          John

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, jim <jimbofla1138@...> wrote:

          > John --  thanks for the links, it's great to get a closeup look at a bike like the Sunbeam. With it's gears bathed in  "the little oil bath", I bet it represented the height of cycling tech at the time. It's owner(s) did a heckuva fine job restoring and preserving it!!

        • Irvine Short
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
            On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM, john <John.Burridge@...> wrote:
            Hi Jim,
            As well as the modern compared with the old look at the price in 1903 only 44 shillings= £2.20 in todays money!!!

            Heh. And how long would it have taken, say, a postman, to earn 44 shillings?