Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Interesting application of S-A IGH & drum brakes: suspension ~wheels~

  • Thorsten Ostrander
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22 7:49 AM
      Looks pretty ingenious.  I'm not a serious weight watcher, but it doesn't compare the weight to a standard wire wheel.

      On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM, pj <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      Tangential suspension built into the wheel structure: Loop Wheels.

      <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>

      pj

    • Rick Paulos
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22 9:59 AM
        "everything old is new again"

        So, no rim brakes if the wheel can move
        significantly. Extreme movement could jam the
        tire into the frame, fork or fenders causing the
        wheel to temporarily lock up. That's always an adventure!

        Not sure if I gave or not. I showed the
        kickstarter page to my wife, she set the tablet
        down and one of our cats walked over the donate button.

        RIck

        At 07:33 AM 4/22/2013, you wrote:

        >Tangential suspension built into the wheel structure: Loop Wheels.
        >
        ><<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>
        >
        >pj

      • rons_hobbies
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23 6:13 AM
          "but each loopwheel weighs only about 300g (10.58oz) more than its spoked equivalent."

          Cost is going to be serious, at least to me:

          "We are offering our first production loopwheels to Kickstarter supporters. We've priced them lower than our expected retail price (which we anticipate will be at least £500/$762 to £600/$915 for a set of 2 wheels)."

          Ron