Interesting application of S-A IGH & drum brakes: suspension ~wheels~

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22 5:33 AM
      Tangential suspension built into the wheel structure: Loop Wheels.

      <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>

      pj
    • Thorsten Ostrander
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22 7:49 AM
        Looks pretty ingenious.  I'm not a serious weight watcher, but it doesn't compare the weight to a standard wire wheel.

        On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM, pj <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

        Tangential suspension built into the wheel structure: Loop Wheels.

        <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>

        pj

      • Rick Paulos
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22 9:59 AM
          "everything old is new again"

          So, no rim brakes if the wheel can move
          significantly. Extreme movement could jam the
          tire into the frame, fork or fenders causing the
          wheel to temporarily lock up. That's always an adventure!

          Not sure if I gave or not. I showed the
          kickstarter page to my wife, she set the tablet
          down and one of our cats walked over the donate button.

          RIck

          At 07:33 AM 4/22/2013, you wrote:

          >Tangential suspension built into the wheel structure: Loop Wheels.
          >
          ><<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle>
          >
          >pj

        • rons_hobbies
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23 6:13 AM
            "but each loopwheel weighs only about 300g (10.58oz) more than its spoked equivalent."

            Cost is going to be serious, at least to me:

            "We are offering our first production loopwheels to Kickstarter supporters. We've priced them lower than our expected retail price (which we anticipate will be at least £500/$762 to £600/$915 for a set of 2 wheels)."

            Ron