Epicyclicus Maximus

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2013
      Anyone who appreciates the elegant simplicity of the classic Sturmey Archer AW with it's sun and planets might appreciate the Falkirk Wheel.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel  Scroll down to see the sun and planets.  Actually, as massive as it is, there may be more moving parts in an AW/

      Here's a YouTube video.  Other such boat lifts are quite complex using massive hydraulics or dozens of cables.

       Mark Stonich;    BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
         5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, MN 55417 USA
            Ph. (612) 824-2372   http://bikesmithdesign.com

    • Alex Wetmore
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2013
        Thanks Mark, that was really cool.

        As a sailor I was moderately disappointed that the design won't allow for sailboats, but I guess they aren't so practical on canals that size anyway.

        alex

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2013
          The upper canal goes through a tunnel shortly after you leave the wheel, so that would also cause problems with your mast.

          The most awesome thing about the trip I remember was returning to the wheel from the upper canal - the cruise boat drives into the upper gondola which appears to be floating in the sky (from the point of view of the passengers).

          The other thing I find amazing - the motor that makes it all work only has 1/2 the power that the motor in my small electric car has.

          Keith B.