Re: Adventures in Sturmey land

  • Hrothgar19
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2013
      My AM went into an SRF3 shell with no problems, and I have a couple of them in late 70s/80s AW shells. However, like most of my AMs, the SRF3-shelled one is a frankenhub with a lot of AW parts (because they're plentiful from barely-used hubs and can be used to replace the worn AM parts) and the pawls and pins were definitely AW.

      The RH ball rings vary slightly, I've found, and it may be worth trying a few different ones if you have a box of bits. The RH ball ring may affect the depth of insertion into the shell.

      The original AM left cup has a somewhat coarser low gear ratchet than the SRF3 but this doesn't seem to make any difference. Disclaimer: as this particular hub is on a Brompton, it has to cope with less torque than on a 700c bike.

      rogerzilla