Re: Styria and AW, same design, different specs?

  • dannyrobinson1962
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013
      Update... it's all back together again now, clean, lubricated and working as it should. Thanks to Graham (Toggle Chain Tour) for posting this really helpful youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "dannyrobinson1962" <dannyrobinson1962@...> wrote:

      > I've just been pulling the Styria 3 speed out of my Puch Pic-Nic fold-up. It is in need of a good clean and service, after having been ridden in cold, wet, dirty, salty conditions all through the winter.
      >
      > I have a spare AW all cleaned up and ready to go, so I thought I'd try putting it into the Styria to see if it works. It isn't happening, the ball ring seems to be a slightly different dimension and it won't screw in. I'm not unduly surprised. I recalled a post some time ago suggesting that Styria and AW are not interchangeable even though they look identical.
      >
      > I found the original post -- in message 7161 prester_john states that...
      >
      > "After the AW patents expired a number of other companies - Styria of Austria (who also built the J.C. Higgins 'Sears' hubs), Brampton and Hercules of the UK,SunTour of Japan - built the design. Operation and dis/reassembly are identical, but tolerances and metallurgy may or may not be."
      >
      > And so I can indeed vouch for this. Though the design is the same, the spec is different, and in some significant ways.
      >
      > As for my Styria, it is now enjoying a bath in white spirit. It was very mucky and it's small wonder it was starting to misbehave. I've given the bike some harsh use myself this winter, and I bought it from a man in a coastal boating town who may well have kept it on his yacht, with all that implies regarding damp and salt. I guess the thing has never been taken apart until today. It needed doing. I'm looking forward to hearing the "tick tick" of a clean and well lubricated 3 speed, as I ride my Puch to the railway station.
      >
      > Danny

    • dannyrobinson1962
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2015
        There was a very recent thread on the Facebook Raleigh Twenty page about Styria 3 speed hubs. One of the members came up with a theory about why Styria and Sturmey Archer AW internals are not of exactly the same dimension... it seems credible and I thought I'd share it.

        In the 1970s the UK was still mainly using Imperial units of measurement, whilst continental European manufacturers favoured the Metric system. Therefore it is possible that the Austrian Styria hubs are designed with Metric, not Imperial, dimensions. However Metric and Imperial measurements do not neatly convert to each other, particularly not if you are dealing with smaller numbers (tenths or hundreths of a millimetre, for example) and you still have to retain precision. So what may have happened with the Styria is that the SA design was retained, but the dimensions were converted to Metric in such a way that everything ended up slightly smaller than the original SA design.

        An intriguing theory... what do you reckon?
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2015
          On 09/02/2015 08:33, dannyrobinson1962@... [Geared_hub_bikes] wrote:
          An intriguing theory... what do you reckon?
          More likely that one of them was making things on worn out tooling?

          Ian
        • John Allen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2015
            I recall a hub labeled "Brampton" -- this was many years ago -- on a Hercules bicycle. (Was that a Styre/Styria hub? maybe someone can clarify.) The right-hand  ball cup was enough smaller that the threads wouldn't engage in a Sturmey-Archer hub shell. This difference was more than worn-out tooling could accomplish.

            At 03:38 AM 2/9/2015, Ian fjsrider@... [Geared_hub_bikes] wrote:

            On 09/02/2015 08:33, dannyrobinson1962@... [Geared_hub_bikes] wrote:
            An intriguing theory... what do you reckon?
            More likely that one of them was making things on worn out tooling?

            Ian

            John S. Allen

            Technical Writer/Editor,  http://sheldonbrown.com

            League Cycling Instructor #77-C