Re: A Cautionary Tale about a Shimano Alfine 11

  • bnexus8
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 10, 2013
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Cycle Monkey <cyclemonkey@...> wrote:

      > What are your friend's reason's for preferring the Alfine hub over the
      > Speedhub?

      He has said that 14 gears are not necessary. I feel the same and that was the reason that I went for the Shimano instead of the Rohloff. I find the Alfine 11 gear range adequate for my touring and the steps between gears are comfortably placed. Why pay extra?

      His two bikes with the Shimano 11's fitted are bespoke hand built British frames that were previously derailleur. The Shimano IGH seem to fit just about any lugs with their choice of anti rotation washers and chain tensioner. He obviously prefers to ride these frames. The Rohloff equipped bike he bought is a ready made in various sizes from a major UK dealer, but the frame is best described as clunky or, at least, not graceful. If he was to have a bespoke frame built with Rohloff dropouts he might go back to using it more often, but I'm not sure of that. He can certainly afford to.

      I have not spent much time using Shimano IGH's, but on the rides
      > I have been on with them, I have found them to feel spongy, imprecise, and
      > clunky.

      Are you referring to the 8 or the 11, or both? I find the grease filled 8 less 'lively' but not imprecise, however, I wouldn't want to tour with it because I don't like the big jump down from 6th to 5th. I don't find that it bothers me too much on a day ride but I couldn't be doing with it over several days. I do, however, know off road riders who find the 8 perfectly acceptable for off road touring but it is difficult to lift the front wheel with a powered pedal stroke. You don't get the immediate 'bite' in any gear that you get with the 11.
    • Jim Kukula
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 14, 2013
        My saddlebag holds... a Kryptonite New York Standard U-Lock and a cable, spare inner tube, maps for several local counties, first aid kit, tools (tire levers, allen wrenches, multi-tool, 8 mm combo wrench, pressure gauge), jacket, fleece vest, rain cover for saddle, rain cover for helmet.

        My handlebar bag holds... reading glasses, small light that straps on my head, knit hat, small notebook and pen, key for lock, snacks, strap that runs between front wheel and down tube to stabilize bike, click-stand, wallet and coin purse.

        Of course the exact lists vary depending on season etc.

        I like being able to take off and explore without worrying too much about getting lost or stuck etc. There has to be some middle ground in "Be Prepared" - no doubt I push into the over-prepared end of the spectrum!

        For that matter, I ride an expedition-level touring bike to take a spin around the neighborhood or a run to the grocery store! Clearly over-kill! But it's nice being able to barrel down a big hill and hit rough pavement and not worrying about denting a rim or all those groceries breaking the rack!

        Jim