Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: A Cautionary Tale about a Shimano Alfine 11

  • pranza
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 10, 2013
      hi folks,

      i'm new member here - joined yesterday. i come from vilnius, lithuania. and
      all of my bikes have 20" wheels - i prefer it like this.

      i have used sachs pentasport, sturmey archer x-rf8 and shimano alfine 11
      gearhubs.
      sturmey's gone after 6000 km, and alfine is now on my main bike (alex
      moulton tsr).
      what i can say about it - feels best of all i tried BUT leaks oil from drive
      side. it's even more of a problem because that oil costs as if it was magic.

      regards,
      pranas
    • Jim Kukula
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 14, 2013
        My saddlebag holds... a Kryptonite New York Standard U-Lock and a cable, spare inner tube, maps for several local counties, first aid kit, tools (tire levers, allen wrenches, multi-tool, 8 mm combo wrench, pressure gauge), jacket, fleece vest, rain cover for saddle, rain cover for helmet.

        My handlebar bag holds... reading glasses, small light that straps on my head, knit hat, small notebook and pen, key for lock, snacks, strap that runs between front wheel and down tube to stabilize bike, click-stand, wallet and coin purse.

        Of course the exact lists vary depending on season etc.

        I like being able to take off and explore without worrying too much about getting lost or stuck etc. There has to be some middle ground in "Be Prepared" - no doubt I push into the over-prepared end of the spectrum!

        For that matter, I ride an expedition-level touring bike to take a spin around the neighborhood or a run to the grocery store! Clearly over-kill! But it's nice being able to barrel down a big hill and hit rough pavement and not worrying about denting a rim or all those groceries breaking the rack!

        Jim