Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: A Cautionary Tale about a Shimano Alfine 11

  • Cycle Monkey
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 9, 2013
      What are your friend's reason's for preferring the Alfine hub over the Speedhub?  I have not spent much time using Shimano IGH's, but on the rides I have been on with them, I have found them to feel spongy, imprecise, and clunky.  I use a Speedhub nearly everyday and have put some serious torque through them on many occasions.  I have never had any reason to think that I would want to switch out for something else.  I guess I would prefer a brifter option for my one drop bar Rohloff bike, but that's a minor detail - for me at least.

      I am of course biased on this issue, but I am curious to know what might make someone swap out a Speedhub for an Alfine.  Cost is the main barrier to entry on the Speedhub, but your friend had obviously overcome that one already.

      On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM, bnexus8 <dclark@...> wrote:

      You probably haven't got a problem.
      I have bought three Alfine 11's new (Two were for a friend who now has two Alfine 11's in bespoke frames and a Rohloff in his other bike. As an aside he now tours on the Alfines by preference) My first Alfine 11 had the weeping seal and was repaired under warranty. The two I bought for my friend haven't wept. I just got the unlucky factory one.
      That seal can be replaced at any Shimano equipped bike shop so my lbs tell me. Whether any Shimano equipped bike shop can torque the seal correctly I am not so sure. It made need a special spanner.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "freetobike2012" <freetobike2012@...> wrote:
      > Read your post and grimaced.
      > I bought my alfine 11 new thru amazon.
      > Have no idea exactly what Amazons policy is on returns of faulty merchandise .
      > The real grimace is :there apparently isn't a qualified shimano alfine mechanic within 75 miles of where I live (I'm hoping Toronto may have one)should this hub take a poop in the bed.
      > Someone wants to make my day compile a list (or get me a link to a list) of Alfine 11 shops in upstate New York or Western Pa/Eastern Ohio.
      > Rich Mc
      > 8
      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bnexus8" <dclark@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I bought an Alfine 11 hub in a good quality rim just before Christmas for a bike I am building. It cost a few hundred pounds.
      > > The hub was leaking oil but the guy who sold it me said they all did that. Having had a new one earlier last year and having had to send it back to the UK importer for seal replacement I didn't worry about it.
      > > A few weeks ago I went to put the wheel in the frame and thought, "No, this is going to be a no worries bike I'll get the hub sorted", so I sent it to an authorised Shimano IG hub repairer. They found it to be in a bad state and returned it to the importer.
      > >
      > > Today I have discovered that the hub internals need a full replacement because the wrong oil has been used. The guy I bought it off has shown me a receipt for 50ml of the correct Shimano oil and insists that is all he has used in it. The UK importer says the oil they have drained out of it is red and of similar consistency to automatic transmission fluid.
      > >
      > > Ebay and PayPal don't want to know because they have a 45 day time limit for complaints. I've done over 1500 transactions and wasn't aware of that.
      > >
      > > The only 'positive' note is that the importer, God bless him, has offered me a substantial reduction on a new set of internals and 200ml of Shimano oil. Also, I have to say that this this is only my third time of being cheated on eBay and the first time for more than £10 (such a pain that it is so much more than £10)
      > >
      > > Lessons learnt: buy something on eBay and use it straight away to make sure it is ok (I could have put it in my other bike) also, ignore all you read about alternatives to expensive Shimano oil. It is too good a hub to bugger up by saving pennies and creating a future problem.

      Neil Flock

      Cycle Monkey
      * Rohloff Service Partner
      * Custom Wheelbuilding
      * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
        Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
        Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
        Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

      Albany, CA 94706
    • Jim Kukula
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 14, 2013
        My saddlebag holds... a Kryptonite New York Standard U-Lock and a cable, spare inner tube, maps for several local counties, first aid kit, tools (tire levers, allen wrenches, multi-tool, 8 mm combo wrench, pressure gauge), jacket, fleece vest, rain cover for saddle, rain cover for helmet.

        My handlebar bag holds... reading glasses, small light that straps on my head, knit hat, small notebook and pen, key for lock, snacks, strap that runs between front wheel and down tube to stabilize bike, click-stand, wallet and coin purse.

        Of course the exact lists vary depending on season etc.

        I like being able to take off and explore without worrying too much about getting lost or stuck etc. There has to be some middle ground in "Be Prepared" - no doubt I push into the over-prepared end of the spectrum!

        For that matter, I ride an expedition-level touring bike to take a spin around the neighborhood or a run to the grocery store! Clearly over-kill! But it's nice being able to barrel down a big hill and hit rough pavement and not worrying about denting a rim or all those groceries breaking the rack!