Re: A Cautionary Tale about a Shimano Alfine 11

  • freetobike2012
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 7, 2013
      Really?
      I've got 6 LBS in the Buffalo NY area and NONE has one iota of knowledge or experience on the Alfine 8 or 11.
      I received a call from the ONE LBS that really did any work on IGH (mainly SA)with a quote of over $600. to order the hub.
      Like I privately said to Aaron, The Amazon Price was $300 less.
      Sence I'd pretty much have to take the wheel to Toronto Ca. to find a knowledgeable IGH shop I figured I might as well roll the dice.
      Rich mc

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@...> wrote:

      > You get what you pay for!
      >
      > Seriously, if everyone continues to buy at a discount online, then how can anyone expect to have well trained and well paid bicycle mechanics?
      >
      > If you want to have your local shop service your IGH, then buy it from them!
      >
      > I know, most shops are not interested in them and most shop just pay college kids to work on bikes because being a bike mechanic is not a REAL job.
      >
      > Shops like mine don't happen overnight. It is a slow process. There has to be enough shops working on IGH for suppliers to start stocking replacement parts.
      >
      > It all starts with the end user.
      >
      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "freetobike2012" wrote:
      > > Read your post and grimaced.
      > > I bought my alfine 11 new thru amazon.
      > > The real grimace is :there apparently isn't a qualified shimano alfine mechanic within 75 miles of where I live.
      > > Rich Mc

    • Jim Kukula
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 14, 2013
        My saddlebag holds... a Kryptonite New York Standard U-Lock and a cable, spare inner tube, maps for several local counties, first aid kit, tools (tire levers, allen wrenches, multi-tool, 8 mm combo wrench, pressure gauge), jacket, fleece vest, rain cover for saddle, rain cover for helmet.

        My handlebar bag holds... reading glasses, small light that straps on my head, knit hat, small notebook and pen, key for lock, snacks, strap that runs between front wheel and down tube to stabilize bike, click-stand, wallet and coin purse.

        Of course the exact lists vary depending on season etc.

        I like being able to take off and explore without worrying too much about getting lost or stuck etc. There has to be some middle ground in "Be Prepared" - no doubt I push into the over-prepared end of the spectrum!

        For that matter, I ride an expedition-level touring bike to take a spin around the neighborhood or a run to the grocery store! Clearly over-kill! But it's nice being able to barrel down a big hill and hit rough pavement and not worrying about denting a rim or all those groceries breaking the rack!

        Jim