1/8 vs 3/32 cogs

  • Rick Paulos
    Message 1 of 65 , Apr 1 11:51 AM
      As many know single speed coaster brake bikes and 3 speed bikes used
      1/8" wide chains. Some newer bikes use 3/32 (old school 10 speed
      size) chains, cogs and sprockets.

      I rebuilt a bike this weekend using a coaster brake hub that must of
      had a 1/8" cog originally, I used a cog from a 3/32" coaster brake
      hub. The result is the cog rattles around on the driver. In theory
      we are talking about needing a spacer that is 1/32" thick and of the
      proper diameter. Or go back to a 1/8" cog and a 1/8" chain and let
      the wider chain run on the thinner 3/32" sprocket.

      rick
    • Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 1, 2014
        This group can only be a success through members being active contributors to
        the group. If and when you disagree with me feel free to say so, politely of
        course!

        All members are encouraged to take part in discussions, post photos and both use
        and contribute to the Links and Files areas. Two Databases are also available
        for member use.

        When posting please trim off the oldest posts in a thread to keep it from
        growing too long. This is a help to members who choose to receive posts as a
        daily summary.

        Thanks to all members for joining and taking an active part in the group.

        I note that a few members have joined and then quit w/o posting. If the group
        is not meeting your needs or expectations then please post with your questions
        and/or group expectations.

        Rich Wood
        Group Owner
        03/25/09