Re: Sturmey Archer 5 speed, how it works.

  • jpbabic
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hey, Dan - are you open to requests on your instructional videos?

      Would you please present a list of tools required on your videos? I am
      gathering the tools I think I'll need in advance.

      I own a Mercier Kilo WT5 from BikesDirect, which has the Sturmey Archer
      five speed wide range hub. I'd like to see how the S-RF5(W) is holding
      up. Using your videos as a guide I intend to open it up for cleaning
      and inspection.

      I was able to get a Sturmey Archer HTR 130 C spanner wrench for the ball
      ring removal. I think the other specialty tool needed for this would be
      a cone wrench, but am unsure what size. I think the current production
      S-RF5(W) uses a 16mm cone wrench. Suppose you could confirm this?

      Muchos gracias, senior.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@...>
      wrote:

      > Here's the next installment in the "How it works" series.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Z0H2U6ejs

    • Dan Burkhart
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013
        Sorry for the delay. Haven't checked in here for a bit.
        You are correct, the cone wrench required is a 16mm.

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

          >...the HSA675 Planet Cage, Pinion and Sun Gear Assembly in the S-A 5(W) hubs is not intended to be disassembled...

          It appears that to disassemble it would be to destroy it. From what I can tell the cage is held together by what I can best describe as rivets, or pins that are mashed to hold the end-plates in position.

          ... and there are NO timing marks on the planets.

          The planet gears are marked on mine, and they are marked according to Dan's advice about tooth alignment.