Re: Sturmey Archer 5 speed, how it works.

  • Dan Burkhart
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 26 7:50 AM
      There is another way to set the timing without the marks. If you look closely, you will see that the timing marks correspond with the position where each of the planet pinions has a tooth aligned with it's ajacent partner. This is the point where each planet shaft must return to simultaneously each revoulution.
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      > > I wonder how many sun gears have been fractured when
      > > some curious sort tore the hub down just to see how it works,
      > > and re-assembled it without knowing about the critical step
      > > of aligning the timing marks.
      >
      > I don't own one nor have I ever inspected one, but I've read on the 'net (and as we all know, if you see it on the internet, it must be true!) that the HSA675 Planet Cage, Pinion and Sun Gear Assembly in the S-A 5(W) hubs is not intended to be disassembled and there are NO timing marks on the planets. If that's true, and one has an irresistible urge to strip down their HSA675, perhaps the planets should be marked before disassembly!
      >
      > Otherwise, I see the HSA675 is available as an individual spare part.
      >
      > pj

    • jpbabic
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 27 2:49 AM
        I confess that I am having trouble following you here.  Could you explain this another way?
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 28 5:52 AM
          Is it the concept you're having trouble with or my attempt at explaining it?
          The concept is one I was first introduced to many years ago when I took service training on heavy truck transmissions. These units have twin or triple countershafts and the same timing requirements as stepped planetaries.
          The best I can explain it is the way I remember it explained all those years ago.
          When stepped multiple countershafts are in mesh with gears of varying size, there must be a common return point. If you took a countershaft and looked down the shaft at the timing marks, you would see a line where one tooth on each gear is aligned with a tooth on the next gear, all in line with the timing mark.These aligned teeth on each shaft must return to the mainshaft gear in unison or the mainshaft (sun) gears will try to climb out of equalibrium. This will result in failure, after how long depends on how much out of phase they are.
          Sorry if my phrasing is hard to follow. Maybe there is someone that can explain it better.
          Meanwhile, I did do a video on this a while back.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9A8XWPzwVg

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "jpbabic" <jbabic@...> wrote:

          > I confess that I am having trouble following you here. Could you
          > explain this another way?

        • jpbabic
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 29 2:40 AM
            > Is it the concept you're having trouble with or my attempt at
            explaining it?
            Both??

            > Meanwhile, I did do a video on this a while back.
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9A8XWPzwVg
            The video explained it very well.

            I think I stumbled on the term 'adjacent' in your post numbered 8387,
            where I could not conclude if you meant planet pinions that share the
            same shaft, or it's neighbor one shaft over. In some sense, I suppose
            the term could apply to both meanings, no?

            I have no doubt there are better ways to describe the concept of timing
            these gears. I very often struggle with wording these sorts of things,
            and of course I don't know the technical language, though I'm learning
            it some here and from reading Jobst Brandt on his experiences with SA
            hub gears. Here's some links to what I've been reading - and more:

            http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/index.html
            http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sturmey-archer.html
            http://yarchive.net/bike/sturmey_archer_hubs.html

            Short of writing a chapter on planetary gear timing, your video does
            nicely. Thanks for another great video.
          • Dan Burkhart
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 29 5:52 AM
              That was some interesting reading, thanks. I think I did read that some time in the past.
              It has more to do with the issues adressed by the NIG re-design though. I was always under the impression that the false neutral had more to do with faulty shifter adjustment than clutches slipping off the drive pins, but Jobst makes some good points.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 29 10:17 AM
                Hey, Dan - are you open to requests on your instructional videos?

                Would you please present a list of tools required on your videos? I am
                gathering the tools I think I'll need in advance.

                I own a Mercier Kilo WT5 from BikesDirect, which has the Sturmey Archer
                five speed wide range hub. I'd like to see how the S-RF5(W) is holding
                up. Using your videos as a guide I intend to open it up for cleaning
                and inspection.

                I was able to get a Sturmey Archer HTR 130 C spanner wrench for the ball
                ring removal. I think the other specialty tool needed for this would be
                a cone wrench, but am unsure what size. I think the current production
                S-RF5(W) uses a 16mm cone wrench. Suppose you could confirm this?

                Muchos gracias, senior.

                wrote:

                > Here's the next installment in the "How it works" series.
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Z0H2U6ejs

              • Dan Burkhart
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013
                  Sorry for the delay. Haven't checked in here for a bit.
                  You are correct, the cone wrench required is a 16mm.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                    >...the HSA675 Planet Cage, Pinion and Sun Gear Assembly in the S-A 5(W) hubs is not intended to be disassembled...

                    It appears that to disassemble it would be to destroy it. From what I can tell the cage is held together by what I can best describe as rivets, or pins that are mashed to hold the end-plates in position.

                    ... and there are NO timing marks on the planets.

                    The planet gears are marked on mine, and they are marked according to Dan's advice about tooth alignment.