Re: crank spindles that are not cartridges

  • bikealfa
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013
      Perhaps I should have mentioned that I want 105 mm ISO or similar.

      Velo-Orange has French and Italian in a wide variety of JIS sizes for reasonable money. Phil Wood makes whatever you want in square taper, but you pay money. Also the adapter sleeves are not as wide so they will work better on older bottom brackets with less threads. They may be more demanding of bottom bracket facing. The modern cartridge uses a LOT more threads than the old cup and cone, and so I do not believe it cares much about the bottom bracket facing.

      I tried the "file the threads off the cartridge cup" trick and that worked really well on one old frame with not-as-much threading.

      I found an English ebay site selling cotterless spindles in 113 and longer; I have a decent collection of 107 JIS and longer already. Unfortunately I cannot find that again; I thought I saved it. It may be the stuff that Sheldon/Harris claims to be low quality. It had basically the same table as Sheldon's website:
      http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

      I actually prefer cup and cone over cartridge; the cartridges do not last any longer in my service, and the cup and cone is rebuildable. I am not picky about a trace of play. I believe the cup and cone allows the badness that gets in the bottom bracket during winter riding to escape, while it is trapped in the cartridge. It is true that I have not really tried cartridges on the winter bikes; the 4 year service interval of the cup and cone cottered or cotterless winter bottom brackets is no shorter than the rest of the salt-encrusted thing anyway.

      For example my Campy Chorus lasted less than a year on a bike that got serious rain riding. It got quite loose, and of course there was no adjustment available like a cup and cone. It does have the bearings more closely spaced than most, and one side is a pair of smaller-than-usual bearings.

      The Token 102 nominally-ISO has larger bearings - the same size as the CH chinese, larger than Shimano cartridges - but fits like a Shimano 103 not like a Campy 102

      All of the cartridges I have disassembled have no seals on the inner side of the bearings, and the cartridges are not really sealed between the sleeve and the bearing, so that is a source of contamination. Maybe I do not grease the "cup" to bearing connector sleeve joint enough?

      As a side note, my VAR bottom bracket facer does not work on many bottom brackets for various reasons - chrome frame too hard, protrusions into the shell, shell distortion preventing the sleeve from going through the shell, and the fact that it is English diameter not Italian. I cannot get taps for it, and the cheap Indian taps I bought from an English company seem to be slightly oversize and I am unwilling to use them on a real frame until I figure out if they are really OK. I have been using them on junk rear triangles as a test.

      Michael Wilson