Re: Civia?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2009
      Ben;

      The frame is oversized Aluminum as I am sure that you are aware. Geometry is pretty much what Frank Berto described as "sports touring" in his 1988 book on upgrading bikes. In a 58cm size it is supposed to be about 29 pounds with the Rohloff hub, generator front hub, hydraulic disc brakes, rear rack, headlight, aluminum fenders, chainguard and 700C 28mm Kevlar bead tires as delivered. Obviously, if stripped, it could be made considerably lighter.

      With the standard carbon fork the ride is good IMO as is the handling. Braking is also excellent with the hydraulic disc brakes. I have not tried it with the optional steel fork. The steel fork is needed if you want to add a front rack as it has the eyelets for doing so. The manual says no clamping accessories to the CF fork blades, a common restriction for such forks.

      One nice design feature is that the rear brake caliper is mounted on the dropout so it moves with the dropout and wheel when the chain tension is adjusted, not so on my Swobo Dixon.

      Excellent frame for the Rohloff hub as the frame and dropouts are specifically designed for the hub version used with very clean cable runs in a channel formed into the down tube. Very easy and quick wheel removal and reinstallation is provided. Civia also offers Alfine hub and derailleur specific dropouts too. The Alfine dropouts should work well with any 135mm width bolt on axle gear hub I would think.

      Looking at the frame as listed I do not believe that it includes the adjustable dropouts and fork. If not then it gets more expensive as the dropouts are about $50 and the CF fork $290, all JensonUSA.com listed prices. They list the frame as a frame only. Also the Civia frame and fork are set up for disc brakes ONLY if that is a concern.

      If you like steel bikes the below link might be of interest. It was mentioned recently on Bike Forums. Lugged Steel with eccentric bottom bracket mount for a normal cartridge bottom bracket it appears. Comes complete with fork and it looks like a good candidate for most gear hub installations. Complete frame and fork are about the same price as the Civia frame only if my conversion from Canadian $ is in the ballpark.

      http://www.steelwoolbicycles.ca/bikes/tweed.html

      Hope that the above covers what you want. Otherwise I will be happy to answer any more specific questions.

      Rich Wood