Alfine 11 oil changes

  • Colin Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2013
      Hi Rich,

      I feel like I have been passing on my Alfine 11 experience, just to you, but would like to "give back" to the IGH list, so am cc'ing the list.

      The Shimano oil change kit is part number TL-S703 (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=42539), but if Shimano Canada hadn't given me one after embarrassing themselves with the order that my LBS placed for me, I would have cobbled together my own.
      • Container = peanut butter jar (More to store it all in, than anything, since I just put my used oil in with my used automobile motor oil)
      • Syringe = local pharmacy or medical supply $3-4
      • Tubing = hardware store
      • Adapter = Find a screw (4mm?) that fits drain plug, drill through it, cut off head, file some threads off to get a good seal with the tubing.

      You need to do the drain and flush, every time you change the oil, not just with a new hub.  The first time you flush, you are indeed doing a break-in flush, just like with the first oil change on a car.  Subsequent flushes are more about getting rid of any moisture that has entered the hub.  Like most hubs (IGH and non-IGH), the seals don't make tight contact, in order to avoid creating extra friction for the rider.

      I've got about 17,000km (10,500mi) on my Alfine 11, so have done 4 flush/changes, to date.  The only problem that I've had is getting junk stuck in the cable groove (twice), on the external cassette joint part, which causes mis-shifting.  A quick swipe with an old toothbrush solves that problem, but it did stump the mechanic at my LBS, who is very experienced with IGH.

      I believe that oil offers less friction than grease, hence Shimano's decision to change and the reason that users of grease type hubs like to convert them.  Rholoff also uses oil.  It's sure a lot nicer than having to dismantle the hub to change grease.

      --

      Colin Bryant
      Vancouver, Canada