Re: Sram E-matic automatic hub gear

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
      > ... the SRAM E-matic is news to me.

      Originally posted here on this board in message #6060, December, 2011.

      You see it here first on Geared Hub Bikes!

      pj
    • Zack B
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
        Early adopters should be aware that Sram has a really bad track record of supporting its IGH customers in NA with replacement parts and repairs.

        I would wait until it becomes clear that both are going to be available for this system before investing in it.

        It does look like the most attractive E-bike system to date.

        On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Benjamin Nead <mcnead@...> wrote:
        Very interesting, Zack . . .

        I note that both hyperlinks in your post are older articles (March and
        September 2012) but the SRAM E-matic is news to me.
        The Road.CC article from last March seems to imply that we'll see the
        E-matic "next year" (ie: sometime in 2013.) I'm curious to check it out.
        Anyone know what it might cost?

        A bit of googling brought up the below link, which is from SRAM's site
        and opens as a PDF. It's a tech document with measurements and
        installation details for the E-matic . . .

        cdn.sram.com/.../gen.0000000004181_rev_a_ematic_frame_fit_specifications.pdf

        Ben in Tucson

        Zack B wrote:

        > http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/sram-force-2013-groupset-eurobike-2012-35165/
        >

        > "Finally, entering the growing e-bike market, SRAM have debuted a rear
        > hub based automatic transmission that’s smart enough to make gearing
        > speed sensitive. Speed and torque sensors in the hub control torque
        > output to improve overall efficiency and increase battery life.
        >
        > Maximum torque is 55Nm, and the transmission offers more power at low
        > settings, making it good on hills. Hardware consists of just the auto
        > hub and battery pack, with a single wire between them, simplifying
        > builds and complexity. As with the smart automatic shifting hub,
        > there’s no need for any gear shifters."
        >
        > http://road.cc/content/news/54570-sram-goes-electric-e-matic-e-bike-power-system
        >
        > "The hub houses a processor, automatic transmission and motor, and
        > power delivery is controlled by a ’sophisticated algorithm’.  Which
        > means, claims the company, that power is delivered intelligently, when
        > you need it, and doesn’t take away from the bike-y feel of the bike.
        > It also tails off the power gently, to prevent you hitting the wall
        > when the maximum assisted speed is reached. In Europe, that’s 25km/h;
        > in the States, that’s 20mph. Who likes hitting the wall at 25km/h? And
        > who knew that Americans were allowed to go faster?"
        >

        > --
        > -Zack

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Geared_hub_bikes-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Geared_hub_bikes-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        -Zack
      • Benjamin Nead
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
          Good points, Zack . . .

          It's doubtful that I would be buying one of these right now anyway, even
          if I could order it tomorrow morning. But I'm intrigued by the "less is
          more" approach (ie: no throttle or shifter controls.) While some
          e-bikers appear to be dismissive of this thing (read posts on sites such
          as the Endless Sphere forum,) I think there is a potentially a large
          market among bicycle-centric types who aren't too keen on the idea of
          weighing down their ride with 40lbs or more of batteries and big hubs.
          They want a bicycle with modest electric assist, not an electric
          motorcycle that still happens to have pedals.

          The E-matic hub is around 10 pounds and seems to contain everything
          needed except the batteries. Conceivably, any 36V lithium pack with a
          nominal Amp hour rating (stock packs from SRAM run between 5.8 to 9.7Ah)
          would work. Although I'm sure the SRAM packs are of high quality
          (Samsung cells) and have carefully conceived BMS for safety and
          trouble-free charging, the possibilities exist for some interesting
          custom battery packs and in placements other than on a rear rack.

          Lithium battery technology is moving along quite swimmingly at this
          point and, while the current E-matic hub will probably be viable for
          years to come (yes, assuming parts/service materializes and its a sound
          design to begin with,) battery packs a couple of years from now will be
          just that much better. Very smart of SRAM to divide up the components
          this way.

          Ben in Tucson