Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: 'nother new member

  • Mike Bullis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2008
      Rich-D'accord on your opinion re:few decent frames for IG hubs.
       When I was planning the Bleriot, I forgot to consider that the frame had verticle drop outs and the Singleator is my penace. It is a bit of a kludge but it works. Contrary to it being a PITA, it was a godsend after spending a week trying to find the 'magic ratio' and having no luck. I'm more concerned about having the first flat on this bike because of the drumbrakes. As for added drag, there is more from the SA X-FDD hub up front than from the tensioner.

      I have the stock twist shifter and it is indeed mounted to the righthand drop. Sheldon Brown mentioned the Hubbub, which is an adaptor to mount a flatbar shifter on a dropbar. I priced one and damn near choked at the cost. So, me and a scrap chunk of 6005 aluminum spent a half hour at the lathe and I made one for myself. An old barend shifter gave up its' clamping mechanism.
       It took a little time to get the hang of it but I've gotten used to most of its' idiosyncrocies. I would be happier if I could upshift by twisting the shifter counter clockwise instead of clockwise, but whaddayagonnado. Tried mounting the shifter backwards but the cable was in the way of my wrist. The few times I've shifted into 7th takes quite a bit of effort to overcome the internal spring. Similar to shifting my 3 speed fixed into low.

       I've considered swapping the rear cog but I like the 31/100 range. I will stick with it for awhile longer. Might opt for shorter cranks. I spec'd 165s but they weren't available so I went with 170s.

      Mike