Re: Nexus 8 trailer hitch attachment

  • bnexus8
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
      The spacing of the rear fork was very easy. Competence with spanners is all that is required. You need to find the instructions written by Dr. Juliane Neus and a 16" rim with enough spoke holes.

      I wouldn't bother again. The Brompton excels at folding small and little else, imo. Eight gears with no double changes is a vast improvement on the original, but unnecessary in the Brompton's natural environment of commuting. The Alfine 11 was even better than the 8 but I took that out and used it on a bike that makes better use of it for my riding needs.

      I wouldn't go under 20" wheels for touring again and although I have ridden with people who tour extensively on heavily modified Bromptons it isn't for me. The rims are too small for good and reliable braking on steep downhills, your wheel is at the mercy of otherwise minor potholes, and luggage carrying is problematic. The last is the easiest of these to solve.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore wrote:

      > bnexus8: Do you have photos of your Nexus-ified Brompton? How did respacing the rear triangle to 132mm work out? I have a Brompton and it's worse feature is the non-standard drivetrain with the 3sp internal/2sp derailleur setup. I don't have short term plans to replace it, but could see doing it in the long run.
      >
      > alex
    • bnexus8
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
        I've just remembered that the instructions were in a copy of A to B magazine. HTH

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bnexus8" wrote:

        > The spacing of the rear fork was very easy. Competence with spanners is all that is required. You need to find the instructions written by Dr. Juliane Neus and a 16" rim with enough spoke holes.

      • Alex Wetmore
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
          Just respacing rear triangles is easy for me (I have a full frame shop in my basement and build bicycle frames as a hobby). I thought that I'd read that when respaced that the tire clearance became too minimal.

          I agree with you on the merits of touring on small wheels, though I don't find 406mm wheels (called 20") to be much better than 349mm (called 16") wheels used on the Brompton and Tikit. In reality the outside diameter of the wheel is only 2" larger (not 4" as the names would suggest) and they both suffer on dirt.

          I'm a bit of a nut with folding bikes (as well as IGHs) and have two S&S coupled bikes in addition to a Brompton and a Tikit. The Brompton is used primarily when I don't think I'll be riding too much but want a bike for a couple of few hour rides. The quick packing is really nice, and the small folded size fits easily onto my sailboat. The Tikit will likely be sold, and my S&S bikes are for travel where I'll be spending much of my time at the destination riding a bicycle (especially if I know that I'll be riding on dirt roads).

          alex
          The spacing of the rear fork was very easy. Competence with spanners is all that is required. You need to find the instructions written by Dr. Juliane Neus and a 16" rim with enough spoke holes.

          I wouldn't bother again. The Brompton excels at folding small and little else, imo. Eight gears with no double changes is a vast improvement on the original, but unnecessary in the Brompton's natural environment of commuting. The Alfine 11 was even better than the 8 but I took that out and used it on a bike that makes better use of it for my riding needs.

          I wouldn't go under 20" wheels for touring again and although I have ridden with people who tour extensively on heavily modified Bromptons it isn't for me. The rims are too small for good and reliable braking on steep downhills, your wheel is at the mercy of otherwise minor potholes, and luggage carrying is problematic. The last is the easiest of these to solve.

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore wrote:

          > bnexus8: Do you have photos of your Nexus-ified Brompton? How did respacing the rear triangle to 132mm work out? I have a Brompton and it's worse feature is the non-standard drivetrain with the 3sp internal/2sp derailleur setup. I don't have short term plans to replace it, but could see doing it in the long run.
          >
          > alex
        • Colin Bryant
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
            I doubt the hitch will have enough leverage to damage your hub.
            I suspect that the dropout side of your hitch is serrated, to prevent it from rotating about the axle.  Putting it against the anti-rotation washer will reduce it's resistance to rotating, on the axle.  This could cause the axle nut to loosen or the hitch may rotate far enough to foul it's action.  Something to keep an eye on.

            --

            Colin Bryant
            Vancouver, Canada

            I'd want to be able to pull my homemade trailer with my Nexus 8 equipped hybrid. The hitch uses a 1/8" plate held against the left dropout by the axle nut. But since this hub uses thick anti rotation washers, the plate will sit on the washer rather than on the dropout. Could there be any issues with that (like a bent axle, etc.)? Would it be better to make a new hitch plate to attach to the chainstay and seatstay (this is a steel frame, my trailer is fairly heavy and I carry 30/40 k on it often)?

          • xpinar
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
              Thank for your responses.
              The plate is smooth, but it has a long tab that goes against the chainstay to prevent rotation, so that's covered. I was concerned about the axle alone supporting the plate, but apparently the trailer's force is not enough to bend the axle.