Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Sturmey S3X exploded diagram & parts list

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 11, 2013
      On 2/11/13 10:11 AM, pj wrote:

      Neither the Sturmey N.A. web page nor the Sturmey N.A. blog lists an exploded diagram with parts list for the fixed gear S3X. I didn't find anything here in the 'Files' section or in the archives. All I've got in my files is the IHS3XQBSSAA0 drawing.

      Anybody got somethin' more? What documentation comes with these hubs in the retail aftermarket packaging?

      I got no documentation in the box with mine.
      --
      Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 16, 2013
        Tried to post this here the other week (twice!!) but yahoo didn't put it up!!

        Here is a video of the innards of the S3X

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmUds2YQ74

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:

        > On 2/11/13 10:11 AM, pj wrote:
        > >
        > > Neither the Sturmey N.A. web page nor the Sturmey N.A. blog lists an
        > > exploded diagram with parts list for the fixed gear S3X. I didn't find
        > > anything here in the 'Files' section or in the archives. All I've got
        > > in my files is the IHS3XQBSSAA0 drawing.
        > >
        > > Anybody got somethin' more? What documentation comes with these hubs
        > > in the retail aftermarket packaging?
        > >
        > I got no documentation in the box with mine.
        >
        > --
        > Mark Stonich;
        > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
        > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417-1741 USA
        > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com

      • Dan Burkhart
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 27, 2013
          I am the creator of that video. I no longer bother posting those here, because as you can see, there is pretty much zero interest among this group in how they actually work.
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Anwar Rahim" <anwar.rhm@...> wrote:

          > Tried to post this here the other week (twice!!) but yahoo didn't put it up!!
          >
          > Here is a video of the innards of the S3X
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmUds2YQ74
          >

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 2/11/13 10:11 AM, pj wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Neither the Sturmey N.A. web page nor the Sturmey N.A. blog lists an
          > > > exploded diagram with parts list for the fixed gear S3X. I didn't find
          > > > anything here in the 'Files' section or in the archives. All I've got
          > > > in my files is the IHS3XQBSSAA0 drawing.
          > > >
          > > > Anybody got somethin' more? What documentation comes with these hubs
          > > > in the retail aftermarket packaging?
          > > >
          > > I got no documentation in the box with mine.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Mark Stonich;
          > > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
          > > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417-1741 USA
          > > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com

        • terry fortune
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 27, 2013
            Until they don`t work#-o d'oh!. Then,all your work is very much appreciated. Thanks for your videos,if everyone would check how theirs should be working,please,then the thanks will begin.

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Anwar Rahim" wrote:

            > Tried to post this here the other week (twice!!) but yahoo didn't put it up!!
            >
            > Here is a video of the innards of the S3X
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmUds2YQ74
            >

            > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich wrote:
            > >
            > > On 2/11/13 10:11 AM, pj wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Neither the Sturmey N.A. web page nor the Sturmey N.A. blog lists an
            > > > exploded diagram with parts list for the fixed gear S3X. I didn't find
            > > > anything here in the 'Files' section or in the archives. All I've got
            > > > in my files is the IHS3XQBSSAA0 drawing.
            > > >
            > > > Anybody got somethin' more? What documentation comes with these hubs
            > > > in the retail aftermarket packaging?
            > > >
            > > I got no documentation in the box with mine.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Mark Stonich;
            > > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
            > > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417-1741 USA
            > > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com

          • jpbabic
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
              Sorry you feel that way Dan! I watched some of your videos and thought they were well done. Thanks for making them, thanks for posting them, and please accept my apology for not expressing my gratitude earlier. I hope you can do more in the future.

              Regards.

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                Dan wrote in part:
                > I am the creator of that video. I no longer bother posting
                > those here, because as you can see, there is pretty much
                > zero interest among this group in how they actually work.

                Maybe everyone here on this enthusiast's list is just afraid to admit they don't already know how a basic planetary hub works! Imagine the embarrassment of someone who has posted hundreds of times here upon watching your wonderful new classic AW video

                <http://youtu.be/o6v5K-2zWMI>

                and saying, "Oh, NOW I get it"!

                pj
              • Dan Burkhart
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                  Please don't miss understand, I'm not beeing pouty,simply making an observation. When topics of interest are presented, discussion ensues. The past posting of these videos here has been met with nearly zero response. The reasonable conclusion would be there is little to no interest.I can deal with that.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Hey Dan,

                    Great videos! That AW one is super. Thanks for making the effort to make these videos and posting them online (subscribed to your channel some time ago with the plan of watching more of the hub videos!). I love it that there are enthusiasts out there who are keen to share their knowledge with others.

                    Fairly new to the group, found out about it when someone mentioned it on the yahoo Moulton Bicycle forum. Had no idea it existed but being a fan of internal hub gears I thought I'd join. It's a shame that the yahoo group it's not more widely known or mentioned (on blogs etc, you could mention it in the description for your IGH videos (just a thought), may generate a few new members). Must admit that although I had been a member of the yahoo Moulton group for a while, I would never have thought that such a group existed in yahoo too!

                    Despite loving IGH my knowledge is largely based on appreciation of them and having used a few, rather than how they work, however, looking to change that. Have a couple of hubs I want to `service' (F&S duomatics) and am looking to add some Sturmey hubs to my stable. Did dismantle and reassemble a Sram Dual Drive II a little while back. Had a lot of fun doing it, and gave me a lot of confidence to want to do it with another hub, but somehow haven't found the time yet. Fingers crossed I can get round to it over the summer. May post with my progress… Or with questions when I've stuffed things up!!!

                    Anwar

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                    > Dan wrote in part:
                    > > I am the creator of that video. I no longer bother posting
                    > > those here, because as you can see, there is pretty much
                    > > zero interest among this group in how they actually work.
                    >
                    > Maybe everyone here on this enthusiast's list is just afraid to admit they don't already know how a basic planetary hub works! Imagine the embarrassment of someone who has posted hundreds of times here upon watching your wonderful new classic AW video
                    >
                    > <http://youtu.be/o6v5K-2zWMI>
                    >
                    > and saying, "Oh, NOW I get it"!
                    >
                    > pj

                  • Dan Burkhart
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Well heck, there's no shame in that. My own education is far from complete when it comes to gearhubs.
                      There are hubs out there that will take a lot more head scratching before I can explain them to anyone else.

                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                      > Dan wrote in part:
                      > > I am the creator of that video. I no longer bother posting
                      > > those here, because as you can see, there is pretty much
                      > > zero interest among this group in how they actually work.
                      >
                      > Maybe everyone here on this enthusiast's list is just afraid to admit they don't already know how a basic planetary hub works! Imagine the embarrassment of someone who has posted hundreds of times here upon watching your wonderful new classic AW video
                      >
                      > <http://youtu.be/o6v5K-2zWMI>
                      >
                      > and saying, "Oh, NOW I get it"!
                      >
                      > pj

                    • Benjamin Nead
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                        Hi Dan . . .

                        As with Anwar, I'm another recent arrival here and appreciate anything
                        that can help explain the mechanical properties of IHGs and other
                        bicycle technology. This morning, before I had to run off to work, I
                        watched the first few minutes of your AW video. As time permits over the
                        next few days, I'll give this one and others in your series a complete
                        viewing, as I'm sure it will answer quite a few questions I have but
                        might not even know how to properly ask. Please don't assume that
                        any/all on this particular site are uninterested in this sort of thing.
                        Thanks.

                        Ben in Tucson

                        Anwar Rahim wrote:

                        > Hey Dan,
                        >
                        > Great videos! That AW one is super. Thanks for making the effort to
                        > make these videos and posting them online (subscribed to your channel
                        > some time ago with the plan of watching more of the hub videos!). I
                        > love it that there are enthusiasts out there who are keen to share
                        > their knowledge with others.
                        >
                        > Fairly new to the group, found out about it when someone mentioned it
                        > on the yahoo Moulton Bicycle forum. Had no idea it existed but being a
                        > fan of internal hub gears I thought I'd join. It's a shame that the
                        > yahoo group it's not more widely known or mentioned (on blogs etc, you
                        > could mention it in the description for your IGH videos (just a
                        > thought), may generate a few new members). Must admit that although I
                        > had been a member of the yahoo Moulton group for a while, I would
                        > never have thought that such a group existed in yahoo too!
                        >
                        > Despite loving IGH my knowledge is largely based on appreciation of
                        > them and having used a few, rather than how they work, however,
                        > looking to change that. Have a couple of hubs I want to `service' (F&S
                        > duomatics) and am looking to add some Sturmey hubs to my stable. Did
                        > dismantle and reassemble a Sram Dual Drive II a little while back. Had
                        > a lot of fun doing it, and gave me a lot of confidence to want to do
                        > it with another hub, but somehow haven't found the time yet. Fingers
                        > crossed I can get round to it over the summer. May post with my
                        > progress… Or with questions when I've stuffed things up!!!
                        >
                        > Anwar
                        >
                        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:Geared_hub_bikes%40yahoogroups.com>, "pj" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dan wrote in part:
                        > > > I am the creator of that video. I no longer bother posting
                        > > > those here, because as you can see, there is pretty much
                        > > > zero interest among this group in how they actually work.
                        > >
                        > > Maybe everyone here on this enthusiast's list is just afraid to
                        > admit they don't already know how a basic planetary hub works! Imagine
                        > the embarrassment of someone who has posted hundreds of times here
                        > upon watching your wonderful new classic AW video
                        > >
                        > > http://youtu.be/o6v5K-2zWMI>
                        > >
                        > > and saying, "Oh, NOW I get it"!
                        > >
                        > > pj

                      • dannyrobinson1962
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                          I thought that was a really useful video. Thanks for posting.

                          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Nead <mcnead@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Dan . . .
                          >
                          > As with Anwar, I'm another recent arrival here and appreciate anything
                          > that can help explain the mechanical properties of IHGs and other
                          > bicycle technology. This morning, before I had to run off to work, I
                          > watched the first few minutes of your AW video. As time permits over the
                          > next few days, I'll give this one and others in your series a complete
                          > viewing, as I'm sure it will answer quite a few questions I have but
                          > might not even know how to properly ask. Please don't assume that
                          > any/all on this particular site are uninterested in this sort of thing.
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Ben in Tucson

                          > Anwar Rahim wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hey Dan,
                          > >
                          > > Great videos! That AW one is super. Thanks for making the effort to
                          > > make these videos and posting them online (subscribed to your channel
                          > > some time ago with the plan of watching more of the hub videos!). I
                          > > love it that there are enthusiasts out there who are keen to share
                          > > their knowledge with others.
                          > >
                          > > Fairly new to the group, found out about it when someone mentioned it
                          > > on the yahoo Moulton Bicycle forum. Had no idea it existed but being a
                          > > fan of internal hub gears I thought I'd join. It's a shame that the
                          > > yahoo group it's not more widely known or mentioned (on blogs etc, you
                          > > could mention it in the description for your IGH videos (just a
                          > > thought), may generate a few new members). Must admit that although I
                          > > had been a member of the yahoo Moulton group for a while, I would
                          > > never have thought that such a group existed in yahoo too!
                          > >
                          > > Despite loving IGH my knowledge is largely based on appreciation of
                          > > them and having used a few, rather than how they work, however,
                          > > looking to change that. Have a couple of hubs I want to `service' (F&S
                          > > duomatics) and am looking to add some Sturmey hubs to my stable. Did
                          > > dismantle and reassemble a Sram Dual Drive II a little while back. Had
                          > > a lot of fun doing it, and gave me a lot of confidence to want to do
                          > > it with another hub, but somehow haven't found the time yet. Fingers
                          > > crossed I can get round to it over the summer. May post with my
                          > > progress… Or with questions when I've stuffed things up!!!
                          > >
                          > > Anwar
                          > >
                          > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:Geared_hub_bikes%40yahoogroups.com>, "pj" wrote:

                          > > > Maybe everyone here on this enthusiast's list is just afraid to
                          > > admit they don't already know how a basic planetary hub works! Imagine
                          > > the embarrassment of someone who has posted hundreds of times here
                          > > upon watching your wonderful new classic AW video
                          > > >
                          > > > http://youtu.be/o6v5K-2zWMI>
                          > > >
                          > > > and saying, "Oh, NOW I get it"!
                          > > >
                          > > > pj

                        • Tom Hart
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                            Dan, great video.

                            In engineering terms, is there any benefit, or disadvantage, from
                            overdrive vs underdrive?

                            Tom.
                          • Dan Burkhart
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                              Well, not being an engineer, I can't really put it in engineering terms.
                              Are you talking in terms of function and efficiency or durability?

                              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hart <tomhart92@...> wrote:

                              > Dan, great video.
                              >
                              > In engineering terms, is there any benefit, or disadvantage, from
                              > overdrive vs underdrive?
                              >
                              > Tom.

                            • Andrew Curl
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                Well, I am an engineer, and if I understand your question correctly, it depends on which gear you spend the most time in. I was once a speed freak, so I configured my gearing so I spent most of my time in 3rd gear on a four speed hub. This meant that fewer of the internal parts were whirring around, which in turn meant less wastage in terms of my energy, spinning gears unnecessarily; also if the bits in the hub weren't working against each other, logically they'd wear out less quickly as well.

                                As I understand things, the new generation of SA hubs (my specialty) are better than they used to be, (in terms of dimensional correctness, ergo, efficiency) so the question is more of mechanical drag as opposed to longevity. "Overdrive" as I understand it means that each tooth of each gear takes a higher torque loading, "underdrive" means that each tooth will meet each other tooth more often, 'cos more gears are spinning around. I cannot see that there's really much in it. That said, I did wear out pivot pins, but I never stripped any gear teeth.

                                -Andrew UK

                                In engineering terms, is there any benefit, or disadvantage, from
                                overdrive vs underdrive?

                                Tom.

                              • Thorsten Ostrander
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                  Hi Dan,
                                  I just picked up a 1970s AW a few weeks ago.  Hope to build a bike with it later this year and your video will undoubtedly be a help.
                                  Kind regards,
                                  Thorsten

                                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Nead wrote:

                                  > Hi Dan . . .
                                  >
                                  > As with Anwar, I'm another recent arrival here and appreciate anything
                                  > that can help explain the mechanical properties of IHGs and other
                                  > bicycle technology. This morning, before I had to run off to work, I
                                  > watched the first few minutes of your AW video. As time permits over the
                                  > next few days, I'll give this one and others in your series a complete
                                  > viewing, as I'm sure it will answer quite a few questions I have but
                                  > might not even know how to properly ask. Please don't assume that
                                  > any/all on this particular site are uninterested in this sort of thing.
                                  > Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > Ben in Tucson

                                  > Anwar Rahim wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hey Dan,
                                  > >
                                  > > Great videos! That AW one is super. Thanks for making the effort to
                                  > > make these videos and posting them online (subscribed to your channel
                                  > > some time ago with the plan of watching more of the hub videos!). I
                                  > > love it that there are enthusiasts out there who are keen to share
                                  > > their knowledge with others.
                                  > >
                                  > > Fairly new to the group, found out about it when someone mentioned it
                                  > > on the yahoo Moulton Bicycle forum. Had no idea it existed but being a
                                  > > fan of internal hub gears I thought I'd join. It's a shame that the
                                  > > yahoo group it's not more widely known or mentioned (on blogs etc, you
                                  > > could mention it in the description for your IGH videos (just a
                                  > > thought), may generate a few new members). Must admit that although I
                                  > > had been a member of the yahoo Moulton group for a while, I would
                                  > > never have thought that such a group existed in yahoo too!
                                  > >
                                  > > Despite loving IGH my knowledge is largely based on appreciation of
                                  > > them and having used a few, rather than how they work, however,
                                  > > looking to change that. Have a couple of hubs I want to `service' (F&S
                                  > > duomatics) and am looking to add some Sturmey hubs to my stable. Did
                                  > > dismantle and reassemble a Sram Dual Drive II a little while back. Had
                                  > > a lot of fun doing it, and gave me a lot of confidence to want to do
                                  > > it with another hub, but somehow haven't found the time yet. Fingers
                                  > > crossed I can get round to it over the summer. May post with my
                                  > > progress… Or with questions when I've stuffed things up!!!
                                  > >
                                  > > Anwar
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > , "pj" wrote:

                                  > > > Maybe everyone here on this enthusiast's list is just afraid to
                                  > > admit they don't already know how a basic planetary hub works! Imagine
                                  > > the embarrassment of someone who has posted hundreds of times here
                                  > > upon watching your wonderful new classic AW video
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://youtu.be/o6v5K-2zWMI>
                                  > > >
                                  > > > and saying, "Oh, NOW I get it"!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > pj

                                • dannyrobinson1962
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                    Hi Thorsten,

                                    I assembled a set of useful AW resources for another website, a Raleigh Twenty enthusiasts site.

                                    http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8400316-a-collection-of-sturmey-archer-aw3-resources?page=last

                                    There's some good stuff on this group too, of course.

                                    All of which will make your work easier.

                                    Danny

                                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Ostrander <ttostr@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Dan,
                                    > I just picked up a 1970s AW a few weeks ago. Hope to build a bike with it
                                    > later this year and your video will undoubtedly be a help.
                                    > Kind regards,
                                    > Thorsten
                                    >
                                    > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM, dannyrobinson1962 <
                                    > dannyrobinson1962@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > I thought that was a really useful video. Thanks for posting.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Nead wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi Dan . . .
                                    > > >
                                    > > > As with Anwar, I'm another recent arrival here and appreciate anything
                                    > > > that can help explain the mechanical properties of IHGs and other
                                    > > > bicycle technology. This morning, before I had to run off to work, I
                                    > > > watched the first few minutes of your AW video. As time permits over the
                                    > > > next few days, I'll give this one and others in your series a complete
                                    > > > viewing, as I'm sure it will answer quite a few questions I have but
                                    > > > might not even know how to properly ask. Please don't assume that
                                    > > > any/all on this particular site are uninterested in this sort of thing.
                                    > > > Thanks.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Ben in Tucson

                                  • Dan Burkhart
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                      There are no gears that have fewer parts whirring around as these hubs are all constant mesh. The only gear not rotating at any given time while a hub is in use is whatever sun gear is coupled to the axle .
                                      The power path through those gears can have an impact on efficiency however.

                                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Curl" <methuselah@...> wrote:

                                      > Well, I am an engineer, and if I understand your question correctly, it depends on which gear you spend the most time in. I was once a speed freak, so I configured my gearing so I spent most of my time in 3rd gear on a four speed hub. This meant that fewer of the internal parts were whirring around, which in turn meant less wastage in terms of my energy, spinning gears unnecessarily; also if the bits in the hub weren't working against each other, logically they'd wear out less quickly as well.
                                      >
                                      > As I understand things, the new generation of SA hubs (my specialty) are better than they used to be, (in terms of dimensional correctness, ergo, efficiency) so the question is more of mechanical drag as opposed to longevity. "Overdrive" as I understand it means that each tooth of each gear takes a higher torque loading, "underdrive" means that each tooth will meet each other tooth more often, 'cos more gears are spinning around. I cannot see that there's really much in it. That said, I did wear out pivot pins, but I never stripped any gear teeth.
                                      >
                                      > -Andrew UK

                                    • Dan Burkhart
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                        OK, I guess it's clear now that I must retract my earlier statement and apologize.
                                        Clearly, I leaped to an incorrect conclusion, and for that I am sorry.
                                        Please know that I am always open to suggestions and critisism with regard to my videos, so feel free to jump in and say what you think.
                                        I have plans for several future projects, and I will post them here as I complete them.
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                                          Dan wrote in part:
                                          > There are no gears that have fewer parts whirring
                                          > around as these hubs are all constant mesh. The only
                                          > gear not rotating at any given time while a hub is in
                                          > use is whatever sun gear is coupled to the axle .

                                          Another common misconception is the belief that the gears still spin when the rider coasts on an IGH. Actually, the gears are locked to the driver -> cog -> chain -> cranks. If the cranks aren't turning, the little gears aren't turning. When coasting, only the hub shell is rotating [and the little drive pawls on the output of the gears (the IGH's freewheel) are clicking in and out].

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                                            Dan wrote in part:
                                            > There are hubs out there that will take a lot more
                                            > head scratching before I can explain them to anyone else.

                                            I'm surprised that in all the time since it was released, the Alfine 11 hasn't been analysed by anyone.

                                            <http://john-s-allen.com/gears/hubratios.htm>

                                            Shimano has yet to post a "Structure and Function" (or overhaul instructions!) on their tech tips page. With no direct drive gear, the Alfine 11 must make use of a fair amount of multiple stage compounding.

                                            pj
                                          • Tom Hart
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 3, 2013

                                              I wasn't differentiating, Dan, as I'm an ignoramous on the subject!

                                              I seem to remember, though, in a discussion on whether the Alfine 11 challenged the Rohloff hub, that how many gears were achieved by undergearing and overgearing, was relevant. So, I'm interested to know if that's correct and, if so, why.

                                              Tom.

                                            • Dan Burkhart
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 3, 2013
                                                On reflection, I realize this statement is not universally correct. I had my head stuck in the 3 and 5 speed hubs when I wrote it.
                                                In the Sturmey Archer 8 speed for example,planetary gears in the stages not engaged in any particular gear, just go along for the ride and do not rotate relative to the sun and ring gears.
                                                As this video demonstrates.
                                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIh64i9IAY
                                                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@...> wrote:

                                                > There are no gears that have fewer parts whirring around as these hubs are all constant mesh. The only gear not rotating at any given time while a hub is in use is whatever sun gear is coupled to the axle .
                                                > The power path through those gears can have an impact on efficiency however.
                                                >
                                                > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Curl" <methuselah@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Well, I am an engineer, and if I understand your question correctly, it depends on which gear you spend the most time in. I was once a speed freak, so I configured my gearing so I spent most of my time in 3rd gear on a four speed hub. This meant that fewer of the internal parts were whirring around, which in turn meant less wastage in terms of my energy, spinning gears unnecessarily; also if the bits in the hub weren't working against each other, logically they'd wear out less quickly as well.
                                                > >
                                                > > As I understand things, the new generation of SA hubs (my specialty) are better than they used to be, (in terms of dimensional correctness, ergo, efficiency) so the question is more of mechanical drag as opposed to longevity. "Overdrive" as I understand it means that each tooth of each gear takes a higher torque loading, "underdrive" means that each tooth will meet each other tooth more often, 'cos more gears are spinning around. I cannot see that there's really much in it. That said, I did wear out pivot pins, but I never stripped any gear teeth.
                                                > >
                                                > > -Andrew UK

                                              • Dan Burkhart
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 3, 2013
                                                  I seem to remember seeing a study somewhere that actually measured efficiency of various gearhub and derailleuer drive trains in all their possible ratio combinations, but I can't find the link to it right now.
                                                  Common sense, and my own subjective observations lead me to believe there are some efficiency losses when transmitting power through an oerdrive train, but for my purposes, it's never been significant enough to worry about.