Sturmey Archer 7 speed

  • bikealfa
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2013
      I have a Sturmey Archer Elite 7 drum brake hub. It appears to be new, built onto a Moulton wheel. When I shift it, often the pedals will not turn in the forward direction, most often in 3rd gear. It will eventually free up. I disassembled the easy stuff. Lacking snap ring pliers (no idea where they went) and not wanting to improvise as I did in the distant past, I did not remove the planet cage and look at the sun pinions. However it appears that sometimes more than one sun is locked to the axle. I can reproduce the lock with just the planet cage and the rotating shift mechanism. Oddly it seems to only lock in the forward drive; back drive does not seem to be locked, nor always unlock the forward drive lock.

      I then tried my 7 speed coaster that is on the shelf in a row with all the other hubs (see photo page if interested). It had the same symptom.

      Does anyone have experience with this hub? Is this expected? Something that will get better with breakin? The Moulton belongs to my brother who bought the wheel planning to replace the Shimano 7 speed coaster brake, and it would be nice to make it work if that were possible.

      Peter Reed of Phoenix Hub Gears made a passing reference in his book that the 7 speed had issues, and so did someone else but I forget who. Hadland maybe?

      Comments from other Sturmey 7 users and mechanics desired.

      Thanks,