Grip Shift for Alfine 11?

  • gordonKoppang
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
      My new trike has under-seat steering with bent up bars. I can't see a rapid-fire shifter working well when it's rotated 90 degrees (From horizontal to vertical). Does anyone know of a grip shift for the Alfine 11? Can anyone suggest a way to mount the rapid fire shifter on bent-up bars?

      With thanks,

      GK
    • Colin Bryant
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
        How about mounting the rapid fire to some sort of handle bar extension or accessory mount (search google for images).  I suspect a "T" style, often used to mount extra lights, might do the trick for you.

        I use one on my USS recumbent bike to mount an air horn and my spouses uses on to mount an electric assist control and mirror on her recumbent trike.

        --

        Colin Bryant
        Vancouver, Canada

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
          Afaik there is not a gripshiift for the Alfine 11 but somebody I wrote to recently (possibly Jtek) is working on one.

          Similar to the message below, on my Trice I had stubby bars mounted beneath the handlebar grips. I used them to rest my wrists on and mounted my bar end derailleur changers in them. It would have been possible to have a rapid fire on one of them but is it not possible to mount the rapid fire on the existing bars with the cable downwards? The shifter is sprung internally and I am not sure that the orientation would affect its operation.

          I had to give up 'bents so never got to fit an Alfine in my Trice, however, 'Aunty Helen' on the UK's YACF has one in her Trice. Contact her and ask about the shifter perhaps.