Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] The best tire size is...........

  • Sven XX
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 30, 2012
      559 mm is not the world defacto tire size by accident.

      By virtue of being smaller than 650b and 700c it is both:

      -Stronger
      -Lighter

      By virtue of being the most common wheel size in the world today it is also:

      -Cheaper

      This is about the ONLY time in bicycles when you can get this trifecta!

      And the road tire selection is now pretty decent with panaracer, schwalbe, michelin and compass cycles all making great road tires for it.

      And the XO is back from handsome cycles as the xoxo.

      -Sven
    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 2, 2013
        I think discussing wheel sizes applies to this forum because it affects your gearing.
        For example most 700C bikes can accept smaller wheels which will give slightly lower gears and fatter tires.
        Also like Alex W. said, 590 is a very common 3 speed size and almost everyone has or has seen or will get a Raleigh 3 speed!

        There is some confusion about the 700D size. Sheldon Brown lists it as 587mm, http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html as does my Black edition of Sutherland's Handbook for Bicycle Mechanics BEFORE the correction. A sticker sheet was sent out with corrections that you cut out and stuck over the errors. I have that correction in my copy of the book. It says 583mm is the correct size for 700D. BSDs within 2 or 3mm should be interchangeable!

        I used to have a spare set of the GT knobbies for their 700D bike.
        I finally sold them some years ago. They were NOS. I fit them on a 584mm rim and they fit just fine. They did NOT fit on a 590. When I had them and I was counseling Grant and Jan to push for more tires for 590 instead of 584 I created this page: http://www.rideyourbike.com/650b.shtml there is a link to a picture of the 700D on a 584mm rim.

        This leads me to believe that Sutherland's is correct and 700D is 583 and Sheldon is wrong and 700D is NOT 587. Does anyone have a tire with the Bead Seat Diameter printed?

        I think 587mm tire size "standard" might have problems since bead seat diameter varies from rim to rim and tire to tire. I mean, I think it would work most of the time, but no manufacturer is going to make them because of liablility, unless they also make 587mm rims. So we are stuck with 2 good tire sizes. Maybe the industry will adopt one over the other like they did with 622 over 630.

        At this point, I would vote for 584 only because it is a smaller size and will fit more bikes. BUT, and this is a big BUTT, 584 tires would need to come in narrower sizes! Just like 700C now comes in every size from 18mm to 65mm+. Most 622 bikes cannot be retrofit to 584 unless a narrow tire like the Col de la Vie is used.