Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Substitute shells for Sturmey FM

    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 23, 2012
      Just unscrew the LH cup with a Kingsbridge fixed cup tool and screw it into an older AW or FW steel shell.  AWs and FWs are reliable in alloy shells. FMs are not. They need the stronger steel shell to support the crenelated pawl track.

      http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/SA/fm-alloy-oops.jpg

      Sent from my iPad (As if that's still supposed to impress anyone :-)

      Mark Stonich
      Bikesmith Design
      612-824-2372
      5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis MN 55417

      On Dec 23, 2012, at 5:44 PM, "John" <jmedclay@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have a good FM shell with 36 holes they'd like to sell or know of any substitute shells that are compatible with the FM guts? My FM has 40 holes and that's a bit of a problem for me.

      Thanks much,
      John Clay
      Tallahassee, FL

      http://www.doteasy.com
    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 2, 2013
        I think discussing wheel sizes applies to this forum because it affects your gearing.
        For example most 700C bikes can accept smaller wheels which will give slightly lower gears and fatter tires.
        Also like Alex W. said, 590 is a very common 3 speed size and almost everyone has or has seen or will get a Raleigh 3 speed!

        There is some confusion about the 700D size. Sheldon Brown lists it as 587mm, http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html as does my Black edition of Sutherland's Handbook for Bicycle Mechanics BEFORE the correction. A sticker sheet was sent out with corrections that you cut out and stuck over the errors. I have that correction in my copy of the book. It says 583mm is the correct size for 700D. BSDs within 2 or 3mm should be interchangeable!

        I used to have a spare set of the GT knobbies for their 700D bike.
        I finally sold them some years ago. They were NOS. I fit them on a 584mm rim and they fit just fine. They did NOT fit on a 590. When I had them and I was counseling Grant and Jan to push for more tires for 590 instead of 584 I created this page: http://www.rideyourbike.com/650b.shtml there is a link to a picture of the 700D on a 584mm rim.

        This leads me to believe that Sutherland's is correct and 700D is 583 and Sheldon is wrong and 700D is NOT 587. Does anyone have a tire with the Bead Seat Diameter printed?

        I think 587mm tire size "standard" might have problems since bead seat diameter varies from rim to rim and tire to tire. I mean, I think it would work most of the time, but no manufacturer is going to make them because of liablility, unless they also make 587mm rims. So we are stuck with 2 good tire sizes. Maybe the industry will adopt one over the other like they did with 622 over 630.

        At this point, I would vote for 584 only because it is a smaller size and will fit more bikes. BUT, and this is a big BUTT, 584 tires would need to come in narrower sizes! Just like 700C now comes in every size from 18mm to 65mm+. Most 622 bikes cannot be retrofit to 584 unless a narrow tire like the Col de la Vie is used.