Re: Greasing the roller clutch & hub shell on a shimano nexus

  • turncg
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "hughckelley" <hugh.kelley@...> wrote:

      > Colin, after digging into the literature a bit, I'm betting that the noise we're hearing is coming from the "disc" clutch when it is engaged (stage II, speeds 5-8) but not being actively driven by the cog. See parts 9 and 11 here:

      Hi Hugh,
      I've been away from the internet for a few days.
      I'm not that skilled with the actual theory of how the hub works. My basic understanding is if the hub is clicking when freewheeling, then that is a pawl running over the teeth of the ratchet track. My noises are more of a clackety sound, not such a sweet sounding hub. I'll have to wait till I pull it apart, to see if I pumped any grease into that disc clutch area.
      Just a thought. Looking on Aaron's shop page - Shimano Internally Geared Hubs, The grease he uses, appears in the photo's to be not as thick as the stuff I use, but I am just guessing that from appearances.

      Regards,
      Colin.
    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
        I have seen many roller clutches over the years. Notably Shimano's Silent Clutch freehub. Many of those would fail. Also I have seen it used in exerciser machines for silent coasting indoors. The failure of small roller cultches is forward freewheeling. They just stop working. I have taken several apart and cannot see any wear really. I suspect the diameter of the ring increases over time.

        I have already seen Alfine rollers slip, but it was only the smaller ring and it was easily solved with very light grease. Thick grease seems to make them slip.

        -Aaron
        Aaron's Bicycle Repair