Belt drive conversions

  • Colin Bryant
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2012
      My primary reason for converting my SWB recumbent bicycle to IGH (and for buying two previous DF commuters with IGH) was to reduce maintainence time and cost.  Even an Alfine 11 doesn't seem so expensive, when you consider I tossed 2-3 cassettes and chains, every year, when I used deraullers.  Still, I am using chains and in rainy weather (which will last another 4 months here) they need attention every week or two.

      I fantasize about converting to a belt drive.  I had one on my '83 FLHS (Harley motorcycle) and loved it.  I'm sure the technology has advanced since then.

      Not only do I not have horizontal dropouts or an eccentric BB, but the bike I like to ride has a chainline that's more than twice the length of a DF bicycle.  On the up-side, my chain passes below, not through the rear triangle.  The chainline also requires an idler to make a minor deflection of the return (lower) run of the chain, over my handlebars.

      I understand that belts, as sold for bicycle use, don't like being bent backward, so I have a problem with tensioning.  I'm wondering if it would still be possible to use my return idler as a tensioner, since it would only be a minor backward bend.  Does anyone know about this?

      I think cogs sold for the Alfine 8 will fit my Alfine 11, but are long belts available?  Industrial types, I'm sure, but are they the same tooth profile and pitch?

      --

      Colin Bryant
      Vancouver, Canada

    • Cycle Monkey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
        Your best bet will probably be to try a different belt drive system than the Gates Carbon Drive system, which as you know does not offer long enough belts.  The Schlumpf/Haberstock Advanced Belt Drive system uses a standard industrial pitch (14mm if I remember correctly) and is configurable for different belt widths.  Using a common industrial pitch allows for a much wider selection of belt sizes.  I haven't imported any of these parts yet since they don't offer a Rohloff-compatible rear pulley, so I'm not familiar with all of the specifics, including whether there would be a belt available that is long enough for a recumbent.  I know they do offer a Shimano IGH 3-lobe rear pulley option though.

        Neil

        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Colin Bryant <sk8ski2004@...> wrote:

[...]

        Neil Flock
        Owner

        Cycle Monkey
        * Rohloff Service Partner
        * Custom Wheelbuilding
        * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
          Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
          Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
          Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

        www.cyclemonkey.com
        cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
        Albany, CA 94706