Re: Greasing the roller clutch & hub shell on a shimano nexus

  • dajjalix
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hugh,

      So you lubricated the roller clutches with marine grease?

      How much did you use?

      Did you lubricate all of the roller clutches?

      Did you put grease on the inside of the hub shell?

      -DJ
    • hughckelley
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
        Yes, post-dip I smeared the exterior of the roller clutches with marine grease.  I did hit all of the clutches, I did not bother putting any grease on the shell (assuming the clutches and bearing would handle that).

        After riding to work today all of the noises have gone.  The only remaining issue is that the hub behaves in a semi-fixed fashion.  With the bike on a workstand, when I spin the rear wheel the pedals move right with it (it still freewheels with the resistance from feet on pedals).  I'm interpreting this as another sign of roller clutch over-greasing.

        For those of you who know more than I do about grease specs, here they are (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LIQUID-WRENCH-Marine-Grease-6NGX0 ):
        NLGI Grade        GC-LB
        Color        Red
        Dropping Point        554 (290)
        Base        Calcium Sulfonate
        Film Type        Thick Grease
        Specific Gravity        .96
        Characteristics        Corrosion Protection
        Application        Harsh Environments
        Standards        GC-LB
        I'll probably ride as-is for a few weeks and then relube at least the roller clutches mid-winter with a more Shimano-like grease (saving the marine grease for the salt/slush/water-facing bearings and dustcaps).

      • turncg
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "hughckelley" <hugh.kelley@...> wrote:

          > Colin, after digging into the literature a bit, I'm betting that the noise we're hearing is coming from the "disc" clutch when it is engaged (stage II, speeds 5-8) but not being actively driven by the cog. See parts 9 and 11 here:

          Hi Hugh,
          I've been away from the internet for a few days.
          I'm not that skilled with the actual theory of how the hub works. My basic understanding is if the hub is clicking when freewheeling, then that is a pawl running over the teeth of the ratchet track. My noises are more of a clackety sound, not such a sweet sounding hub. I'll have to wait till I pull it apart, to see if I pumped any grease into that disc clutch area.
          Just a thought. Looking on Aaron's shop page - Shimano Internally Geared Hubs, The grease he uses, appears in the photo's to be not as thick as the stuff I use, but I am just guessing that from appearances.

          Regards,
          Colin.
        • aarons_bicycle_repair
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
            I have seen many roller clutches over the years. Notably Shimano's Silent Clutch freehub. Many of those would fail. Also I have seen it used in exerciser machines for silent coasting indoors. The failure of small roller cultches is forward freewheeling. They just stop working. I have taken several apart and cannot see any wear really. I suspect the diameter of the ring increases over time.

            I have already seen Alfine rollers slip, but it was only the smaller ring and it was easily solved with very light grease. Thick grease seems to make them slip.

            -Aaron
            Aaron's Bicycle Repair