Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Can anyone tell me what this part is called?

Expand Messages
  • js montes
    Danny: In German the from hub brake (drum ) is : vorne Trommelbremse in Dutch , it is : voor trommelrem good luck with the Raleigh/BSA 20 re-fit Sergio
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      In German  the from hub brake (drum ) is :  vorne Trommelbremse
      in Dutch , it is : voor trommelrem

      good luck with the Raleigh/BSA 20 re-fit


      On 26/11/2012 9:00 AM, dannyrobinson1962 wrote:
      This is slightly off the topic of hub gears, but it is closely related. I'm sure there will be people here who will know the answer.
      First, the context, so you know why I'm looking.
      I have a scrap BSA Twenty (badge engineered, in fact it is a Raleigh marketed under one of their captive trade names). I am intending to bring it back to life, but to alter the specification to suit my own particular needs.
      I plan to ditch the poor condition 28 hole 451mm wheels and replace them with modern 406mm rims, 36 hole. Crucially, I am planning to replace the rim brakes with a coaster brake and a front drum brake. There are several reasons for my wanting to do this, read more here: http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8304559-anyone-ever-tried-a-front-drum-brake-and-a-rear-coaster-brake- .
      The rear end shouldn't be a problem. Though 3 speed coaster brake hubs are very rare in the UK, they are very common in many other Northern European countries. I can find used ones on ebay.de or ebay.nl, they are called Rucktrittbremse(n) in German and I don't think I'll have any difficulty getting what I'm after. It will almost certainly be a Sachs/SRAM T3, though if I came across a Sturmey Archer I'd be pleased to use it.
      That's the context. Now here's the nub of my question. I'm struggling to find the name of the front drum brake and hub in either Dutch or German. If I could name it, I could search it and find it on ebay. The most obvious guess at the translation (Trommelbremse is German for Drum Brake, or trommelrem in Dutch) doesn't really show up what I am looking for. For the sake of consistency I'd sooner go for the same manufacturer as for the rear hub. So probably a Sachs/SRAM. 
      A complete front wheel with the exact thing I'm after is pictured here:
      So can anyone tell me what I should be looking for and how I can find it?
      When it's all done, I will have one of the only (maybe THE only) Twenty with coaster brake and drum brake in the UK.
      Yahoo! Groups Links
      <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional
      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)
      <*> To change settings via email:
      <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.