Re: Alternative shifter for Alfine 11

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2012
      Negative on the friction shifter in my opinion. Placing a IGH into a between gears position will rapidly damage most units and the only unit with indexing in the hub rather than in the shifter is the Rohloff which uses a dual cable pull-pull shifting mechanism.

      The only alternative shifter I am aware of for the Alfine 11 is the Versa VRS-11 aftermarket drop bar shifter made in Taiwan.

      http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=52681&category=2714

      Jtek does not yet list their bar end shifter in an Alfine 11 compatible version per a check of their web site.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bnexus8" <dclark@...> wrote:

      > The Alfine 11 has a rapid fire style of shifter.
      >
      > Does anybody know if a rotary type is available or if a friction gear shifter will work, please?
      >
      > Cheers

    • bnexus8
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 23, 2012
        Thanks for that information. Not what I wanted to hear but very helpful :0)

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > Negative on the friction shifter in my opinion. Placing a IGH into a between gears position will rapidly damage most units and the only unit with indexing in the hub rather than in the shifter is the Rohloff which uses a dual cable pull-pull shifting mechanism.
        >
        > The only alternative shifter I am aware of for the Alfine 11 is the Versa VRS-11 aftermarket drop bar shifter made in Taiwan.
        >
        > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=52681&category=2714
        >
        > Jtek does not yet list their bar end shifter in an Alfine 11 compatible version per a check of their web site.
        >
        > Rich Wood
        >
        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bnexus8" <dclark@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The Alfine 11 has a rapid fire style of shifter.
        > >
        > > Does anybody know if a rotary type is available or if a friction gear shifter will work, please?
        > >
        > > Cheers

      • freetobike2012
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2012
          Either I'm estatic learning there's a brifter setup for the 11 as well as the 8 or I'm on the fast track to the poorhouse.
          The Alfine 11 seems to address most of the gap issues I was concerned about with the 8.
          Thanks for he heads up Rich!
          RTMc

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

          > Negative on the friction shifter in my opinion. Placing a IGH into a between gears position will rapidly damage most units and the only unit with indexing in the hub rather than in the shifter is the Rohloff which uses a dual cable pull-pull shifting mechanism.
          >
          > The only alternative shifter I am aware of for the Alfine 11 is the Versa VRS-11 aftermarket drop bar shifter made in Taiwan.
          >
          > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=52681&category=2714
          >
          > Jtek does not yet list their bar end shifter in an Alfine 11 compatible version per a check of their web site.
          >
          > Rich Wood
          >
          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bnexus8" <dclark@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The Alfine 11 has a rapid fire style of shifter.
          > >
          > > Does anybody know if a rotary type is available or if a friction gear shifter will work, please?
          > >
          > > Cheers

        • bikealfa
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 24, 2012
            I have read negative reviews of the Versa shifter for the 11 speed Alfine. I would love to read comments from people who I "knew" better, like someone from this list.

            Michael Wilson

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "freetobike2012" <freetobike2012@...> wrote:

            > Either I'm estatic learning there's a brifter setup for the 11 as well as the 8 or I'm on the fast track to the poorhouse.
            > The Alfine 11 seems to address most of the gap issues I was concerned about with the 8.
            > Thanks for he heads up Rich!
            > RTMc
            >
            > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Negative on the friction shifter in my opinion. Placing a IGH into a between gears position will rapidly damage most units and the only unit with indexing in the hub rather than in the shifter is the Rohloff which uses a dual cable pull-pull shifting mechanism.
            > >
            > > The only alternative shifter I am aware of for the Alfine 11 is the Versa VRS-11 aftermarket drop bar shifter made in Taiwan.
            > >
            > > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=52681&category=2714
            > >
            > > Jtek does not yet list their bar end shifter in an Alfine 11 compatible version per a check of their web site.
            > >
            > > Rich Wood
            > >
            > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bnexus8" <dclark@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The Alfine 11 has a rapid fire style of shifter.
            > > >
            > > > Does anybody know if a rotary type is available or if a friction gear shifter will work, please?
            > > >
            > > > Cheers

          • bnexus8
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 25, 2012
              Extra: JTEK are working on a shifter for the 11. Prototype is taking longer than expected.

              I do hope it is a rotary or thumby rather than a handlebar end :0)