Re: Bike shop labor charges

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 21, 2012
      > Have you ever successfully overhauled a Shimano STI shift lever?
      > If you have, you will see they are about as complex as a carburetor.

      IIRC, the 1994 Subaru Justy was the last car in the US market to use an obsolete carburetor.

      > It was, after all, the bike guys that created the automobile
      >back in the early 1900s.

      The first internal combustion engine auto to go into actual production was Karl Benz' Patent Motorwagen in 1886, just one year after John Kemp Starley's Rover. Mr. Benz was not a 'bike guy'.

      Best,
      pj
    • bikealfa
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 22, 2012
        Aaron -
        You can successfully disassemble and reassemble STI shifters?

        How much do you charge?

        Any idea what it would take to add extra index positions?

        There is a guy on ebay who does 8 speed STI shifters but not 9 or 10 speed.

        Michael Wilson

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@...> wrote:

        > Dear Al,
        >
        > Have you ever successfully overhauled a Shimano STI shift lever?
        > If you have, you will see they are about as complex as a carburetor.
        > Can you do most IGH without the manual?
        >
        > I agree that modern cars are very complex, but modern bicycles are quite complicated as well. A car is just made of more systems. There are smart folks in each industry developing quite complex systems, not necessarily for the better. Electronic road bike shifting?! You have to hook it up to a computer to diagnose it......just like a car!
        >
        > Both of the mechanic/owners of the local garages bring me their bikes!
        > They comment it takes too much finesse to work on bikes! Think of a front derailleur or headset. Usually the most of then mis-adjusted parts on a bike.
        >
        > I work on cars, but prefer not to. Too greasy, LOL!
        >
        > I was trying to bring up my trade, please don't tear it down!
        > It was, after all, the bike guys that created the automobile back in the early 1900s. And now we need some of those smart car guys to get back into bicycles.
        >
        > Cheers, Aaron Goss
        >
        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "k3eax" <k3eax@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Aaron, while not denying that there is great complexity seen in cycles, you're terribly wrong about there being as much to know about cycles as there is to know about cars! As GM-trained, a holder of a degree in automotive technology, and a certified master auto technician, I can tell you that today's cars are exceedingly more complex than are cycles. This can even be said oeven of older cars.
        > >
        > > Al
        > >

        > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aaron's bicycle repair" <aaron@> wrote:
        > > . There is as much to know about modern bicycles as there is to cars! Perhaps more since many old bikes are still in use. Far more than older cars.
        > > >
        > > > Cheers,

      • bikealfa
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 24, 2012
          Another data point. I read on the internet that some shop mechanic repaired a Campagnolo Ergopower shifter in about 5 minutes. Yesterday it took me an hour just to get the upshift lever spring attached to the upshift lever.

          I was investigating changing the 10 speed Ergopower to 11 speed because I read that it could be done. I do not see how it can be done with either Ergopower or Escape 10 speed levers and standard Ultrashift internals.

          Michael Wilson

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bikealfa" <mtwils@...> wrote:

          > Aaron -
          > You can successfully disassemble and reassemble STI shifters?
          >
          > How much do you charge?
          >
          > Any idea what it would take to add extra index positions?
          >
          > There is a guy on ebay who does 8 speed STI shifters but not 9 or 10 speed.
          >

          > Michael Wilson
          >
          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Al,
          > >
          > > Have you ever successfully overhauled a Shimano STI shift lever?
          > > If you have, you will see they are about as complex as a carburetor.
          > > Can you do most IGH without the manual?
          > >
          > > I agree that modern cars are very complex, but modern bicycles are quite complicated as well. A car is just made of more systems. There are smart folks in each industry developing quite complex systems, not necessarily for the better. Electronic road bike shifting?! You have to hook it up to a computer to diagnose it......just like a car!
          > >
          > > Both of the mechanic/owners of the local garages bring me their bikes!
          > > They comment it takes too much finesse to work on bikes! Think of a front derailleur or headset. Usually the most of then mis-adjusted parts on a bike.
          > >
          > > I work on cars, but prefer not to. Too greasy, LOL!
          > >
          > > I was trying to bring up my trade, please don't tear it down!
          > > It was, after all, the bike guys that created the automobile back in the early 1900s. And now we need some of those smart car guys to get back into bicycles.
          > >
          > > Cheers, Aaron Goss
          > >
          > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "k3eax" <k3eax@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Aaron, while not denying that there is great complexity seen in cycles, you're terribly wrong about there being as much to know about cycles as there is to know about cars! As GM-trained, a holder of a degree in automotive technology, and a certified master auto technician, I can tell you that today's cars are exceedingly more complex than are cycles. This can even be said oeven of older cars.
          > > >
          > > > Al
          > > >

          > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aaron's bicycle repair" <aaron@> wrote:
          > > > . There is as much to know about modern bicycles as there is to cars! Perhaps more since many old bikes are still in use. Far more than older cars.

        • aarons_bicycle_repair
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 27, 2012
            Overhauling a Campagnolo Ergopower is like watch repair!