Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Pj's use of "Yehuda"

  • Tom Fuller
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 19, 2012
      It's a common semi-disrespectful terms for Jews here in Philly, like calling Italians Diegos, Irish as Micks, Mexicans as Pedros, Arabs as Abduls/Haiji's etc. It is usually used so the speaker can claim innocence. I hear alot where I work in a major medical center complex and it's an ongoing battle to get people to stop doing it.

      It's called a double entendre which means a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic.

      How it was intended is only partially relevant.

      Tom

      In absentia lucii, tenebrae vinctum!! In the absence of light, darkness prevails.