Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] 3 in 1 Oil Question

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
      At 3/3/2009 02:51 AM +0000, you wrote:
      >Oils recommended were 30W automotive, sewing machine or Phil Wood
      >Tenacious Oil.

      In my SAs I use 10w-30 but for winter I plan to try Mobil1. I would
      not use a sticky oil like Phil Tenacious Oil as the pawl springs are
      so light.

      I would be interested in trying the right type of grease in a couple
      of my SAs that are on bikes that rarely get ridden. You nees a
      Semi-fluid (NLGI No.00) grade grease and I would prefer a
      synthetic. Amzoil makes one but the smallest amount they sell is a
      35 Lb. bucket.

      Mark Stonich;
      BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
      5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
      Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
      http://mnhpva.org
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
        Mark;

        Permaco lists the SA hub grease. No indication of whether or not in
        stock or the price but an email or phone call might be worthwhile.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...>
        wrote:

        > At 3/3/2009 02:51 AM +0000, you wrote:
        > >Oils recommended were 30W automotive, sewing machine or Phil Wood
        > >Tenacious Oil.
        >
        > In my SAs I use 10w-30 but for winter I plan to try Mobil1. I
        would
        > not use a sticky oil like Phil Tenacious Oil as the pawl springs
        are
        > so light.
        >
        > I would be interested in trying the right type of grease in a
        couple
        > of my SAs that are on bikes that rarely get ridden. You nees a
        > Semi-fluid (NLGI No.00) grade grease and I would prefer a
        > synthetic. Amzoil makes one but the smallest amount they sell is
        > 35 Lb. bucket.
        >

        > Mark Stonich;
        > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
        > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
        > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
        > http://mnhpva.org

      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2009
          "3-in-One" debuted during the first great bike boom in 1894, making
          it one of the oldest cycling products you can still buy. The oil was
          originally intended for bicycle chains, and the name indicated it "1)
          cleaned, 2) lubrcated and 3) rust proofed", hence, 3-in-One. After
          115 years, it's still not a bad choice for chain lubration.

          3-in-One does indeed contain a vegetable based component, citronella
          oil (ever notice the way 3-in-One smells?), which will go rancid,
          break down and turn into very much a non-lubricant. This residue
          would just fall off a chain, but when enclosed in a small metal shell
          it has no where to go. Probably more American Sturmeys have been
          rendered inoperable by 3-in-One residue than for any other reason.
          The 3-in-One folks themselves do not list hub gears as a potential
          use for their product.

          Best,
          PJ

          PS - In the 1920s, pioneer American Birth control advocate Margaret
          Sanger was married to then president of the 3-in-One Oil company, J.
          Noah Slee. She smuggled illegal European-made diaphragms into the
          USA in secretly coded barrels of the citronella oil imported by 3-in-
          One!
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2009
            At 3/3/2009 05:43 AM +0000, you wrote:
            >Mark;
            >
            >Permaco lists the SA hub grease. No indication of whether or not in
            >stock or the price but an email or phone call might be worthwhile.
            >
            >Rich Wood

            Thank you. If I can't find a synthetic I'll give them a call.

            BTW inappropriate greases in an SA hub can be disaster. Semi-fluid
            grade 00 greases will get drawn into tight fits due to capillary
            action but others won't. I've taken apart hubs filled with grease
            that had the pawl pins seized in the pawls due to lack of ubrication.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2009
              Mark wrote in part:
              > Amzoil makes one but the smallest amount they sell is a
              > 35 Lb. bucket.

              I briefly toyed with the idea of putting together a group buy of
              Amsoil Spy grease, but 35 pounds would be enough for, what? like 1000+
              hubs! Then there's the hassle of pumping it into smaller labeled and
              marked tubes for distribution.

              Surely it would be easier to just get an existing 'net retailer to
              stock and sell Sturmey SA103A.

              Best,
              PJ
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2009
                Mark;

                I did a Google search and came up with this source for 00 grease in
                reasonable quantities. Not listed as synthetic.

                http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Grease.cfm

                Amazon also has 3 listings for 00 grade grease in small quantities.
                Again not specified as synthetic. Looks like used in some lawn
                mowers and chain saws so a call to a mower/saw repair shop might
                turn up a local source as the shipping listed by the Amazon sources
                is not cheap. Also listed as a truck trailer hub grease so a truck
                repair facility might have it available.

                Fina also does a OO grade synthetic grease. Listed as Fina Synpro.

                wrote:

                > At 3/3/2009 05:43 AM +0000, you wrote:
                > >Mark;
                > >
                > >Permaco lists the SA hub grease. No indication of whether or not
                in
                > >stock or the price but an email or phone call might be worthwhile.
                > >
                > >Rich Wood
                >
                > Thank you. If I can't find a synthetic I'll give them a call.
                >
                > BTW inappropriate greases in an SA hub can be disaster. Semi-
                fluid
                > grade 00 greases will get drawn into tight fits due to capillary
                > action but others won't. I've taken apart hubs filled with grease
                > that had the pawl pins seized in the pawls due to lack of
                ubrication.

                > Mark Stonich;
                > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
                > http://mnhpva.org

              • henry sheil
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 10, 2009
                  I can certainly vouch for John's statement about 3 in 1 being very bad for hub gears from my own practical experience, but I have also found that a good flush out with WD 40 can work wonders at unsticking the guts, before proceeding to use one's preferred lubricant.

                  Henry in Oz

                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                  > "3-in-One" debuted during the first great bike boom in 1894, making
                  > it one of the oldest cycling products you can still buy. The oil was
                  > originally intended for bicycle chains, and the name indicated it "1)
                  > cleaned, 2) lubrcated and 3) rust proofed", hence, 3-in-One. After
                  > 115 years, it's still not a bad choice for chain lubration.
                  >
                  > 3-in-One does indeed contain a vegetable based component, citronella
                  > oil (ever notice the way 3-in-One smells?), which will go rancid,
                  > break down and turn into very much a non-lubricant. This residue
                  > would just fall off a chain, but when enclosed in a small metal shell
                  > it has no where to go. Probably more American Sturmeys have been
                  > rendered inoperable by 3-in-One residue than for any other reason.
                  > The 3-in-One folks themselves do not list hub gears as a potential
                  > use for their product.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > PJ
                  >
                  > PS - In the 1920s, pioneer American Birth control advocate Margaret
                  > Sanger was married to then president of the 3-in-One Oil company, J.
                  > Noah Slee. She smuggled illegal European-made diaphragms into the
                  > USA in secretly coded barrels of the citronella oil imported by 3-in-
                  > One!

                • rons_hobbies
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3 9:49 AM
                    My ignorance of organic chemestry is now "out in the wild." Never would have thought the < 3% ammount of citronella oil would be sufficent to leave a residue. Makes me think heat is also a factor.

                    Thanks,

                    And my Public Health practioner GF will appriciate the factoid on Ms. Sanger.

                    Ron

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                    > "3-in-One" debuted during the first great bike boom in 1894, making
                    > it one of the oldest cycling products you can still buy. The oil was
                    > originally intended for bicycle chains, and the name indicated it "1)
                    > cleaned, 2) lubrcated and 3) rust proofed", hence, 3-in-One. After
                    > 115 years, it's still not a bad choice for chain lubration.
                    >
                    > 3-in-One does indeed contain a vegetable based component, citronella
                    > oil (ever notice the way 3-in-One smells?), which will go rancid,
                    > break down and turn into very much a non-lubricant. This residue
                    > would just fall off a chain, but when enclosed in a small metal shell
                    > it has no where to go. Probably more American Sturmeys have been
                    > rendered inoperable by 3-in-One residue than for any other reason.
                    > The 3-in-One folks themselves do not list hub gears as a potential
                    > use for their product.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > PJ
                    >
                    > PS - In the 1920s, pioneer American Birth control advocate Margaret
                    > Sanger was married to then president of the 3-in-One Oil company, J.
                    > Noah Slee. She smuggled illegal European-made diaphragms into the
                    > USA in secretly coded barrels of the citronella oil imported by 3-in-
                    > One!

                  • Andrew Curl
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3 10:25 AM
                      I am no great chemist. Oil is oil is oil; since we discovered that black stuff coming out of the ground, we've just been adding different additives to it so it does what we want. I don't care how long 3 in 1 has been about, it is still crap. The lighter fractions evaporate off quite quickly, and the oily residue is all that is left. If you water your ride to satuaration point weekly, not a problem. Everyone else, use motor mower oil.

                      -Andrew