3 in 1 Oil Question

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2 6:51 PM
      It seems to me that I have reaed that 3 in 1 oil is a very poor oil
      selection for oiled gear hubs as it eventually gums up the internals
      due to oxidizing and forming a varnish like coating on the parts.
      Eventually it can cause a hub to require disassembly for complete
      cleaning.

      Can anyone confirm this as a potential or actual problem? I did a
      Google search and found only one warning against use of it but all the
      lubricant recommendations were for products other than 3 in 1 oil.
      Oils recommended were 30W automotive, sewing machine or Phil Wood
      Tenacious Oil.

      Rich Wood
    • Aaron Whaley
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2 7:04 PM
        Rich,
        I have heard that too...but cannot find out where I have read it. I used SA oil for years until I could not get it anymore. I used Singer sewing machine oil too (don't tell mom! ;>) ) According to the MSDS 3in One oil is Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil which as best I can decipher is a modified mineral oil not vegetable based.

        Aaron

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2 7:06 PM
          I've heard it's vegetable based oil and will gumm.I like sewing machine oil as it comes with a long"zoom"spout that makes it easy to oil a geared hub oil port---sam

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2 8:28 PM
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
            <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            > It seems to me that I have reaed that 3 in 1 oil is a very poor oil
            > selection for oiled gear hubs as it eventually gums up the internals
            > due to oxidizing and forming a varnish like coating on the parts.
            > Eventually it can cause a hub to require disassembly for complete
            > cleaning.
            >
            > Can anyone confirm this as a potential or actual problem? I did a
            > Google search and found only one warning against use of it but all the
            > lubricant recommendations were for products other than 3 in 1 oil.
            > Oils recommended were 30W automotive, sewing machine or Phil Wood
            > Tenacious Oil.
            >
            > Rich Wood

            I've also read that about 3-in-1 oil somewhere on the Interweb. I do
            have a 70s Raleigh manual, and that recommends 20w motor oil for
            lubricating S-A hubs.

            Neal Lerner
            Brookline, MA
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2 8:40 PM
              At 3/3/2009 02:51 AM +0000, you wrote:
              >Oils recommended were 30W automotive, sewing machine or Phil Wood
              >Tenacious Oil.

              In my SAs I use 10w-30 but for winter I plan to try Mobil1. I would
              not use a sticky oil like Phil Tenacious Oil as the pawl springs are
              so light.

              I would be interested in trying the right type of grease in a couple
              of my SAs that are on bikes that rarely get ridden. You nees a
              Semi-fluid (NLGI No.00) grade grease and I would prefer a
              synthetic. Amzoil makes one but the smallest amount they sell is a
              35 Lb. bucket.

              Mark Stonich;
              BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
              5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
              Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
              http://mnhpva.org
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2 9:43 PM
                Mark;

                Permaco lists the SA hub grease. No indication of whether or not in
                stock or the price but an email or phone call might be worthwhile.

                Rich Wood

                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...>
                wrote:

                > At 3/3/2009 02:51 AM +0000, you wrote:
                > >Oils recommended were 30W automotive, sewing machine or Phil Wood
                > >Tenacious Oil.
                >
                > In my SAs I use 10w-30 but for winter I plan to try Mobil1. I
                would
                > not use a sticky oil like Phil Tenacious Oil as the pawl springs
                are
                > so light.
                >
                > I would be interested in trying the right type of grease in a
                couple
                > of my SAs that are on bikes that rarely get ridden. You nees a
                > Semi-fluid (NLGI No.00) grade grease and I would prefer a
                > synthetic. Amzoil makes one but the smallest amount they sell is
                > 35 Lb. bucket.
                >

                > Mark Stonich;
                > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
                > http://mnhpva.org

              • prester_john_in_cathay
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3 5:54 AM
                  "3-in-One" debuted during the first great bike boom in 1894, making
                  it one of the oldest cycling products you can still buy. The oil was
                  originally intended for bicycle chains, and the name indicated it "1)
                  cleaned, 2) lubrcated and 3) rust proofed", hence, 3-in-One. After
                  115 years, it's still not a bad choice for chain lubration.

                  3-in-One does indeed contain a vegetable based component, citronella
                  oil (ever notice the way 3-in-One smells?), which will go rancid,
                  break down and turn into very much a non-lubricant. This residue
                  would just fall off a chain, but when enclosed in a small metal shell
                  it has no where to go. Probably more American Sturmeys have been
                  rendered inoperable by 3-in-One residue than for any other reason.
                  The 3-in-One folks themselves do not list hub gears as a potential
                  use for their product.

                  Best,
                  PJ

                  PS - In the 1920s, pioneer American Birth control advocate Margaret
                  Sanger was married to then president of the 3-in-One Oil company, J.
                  Noah Slee. She smuggled illegal European-made diaphragms into the
                  USA in secretly coded barrels of the citronella oil imported by 3-in-
                  One!
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3 6:28 AM
                    At 3/3/2009 05:43 AM +0000, you wrote:
                    >Mark;
                    >
                    >Permaco lists the SA hub grease. No indication of whether or not in
                    >stock or the price but an email or phone call might be worthwhile.
                    >
                    >Rich Wood

                    Thank you. If I can't find a synthetic I'll give them a call.

                    BTW inappropriate greases in an SA hub can be disaster. Semi-fluid
                    grade 00 greases will get drawn into tight fits due to capillary
                    action but others won't. I've taken apart hubs filled with grease
                    that had the pawl pins seized in the pawls due to lack of ubrication.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3 6:45 AM
                      Mark wrote in part:
                      > Amzoil makes one but the smallest amount they sell is a
                      > 35 Lb. bucket.

                      I briefly toyed with the idea of putting together a group buy of
                      Amsoil Spy grease, but 35 pounds would be enough for, what? like 1000+
                      hubs! Then there's the hassle of pumping it into smaller labeled and
                      marked tubes for distribution.

                      Surely it would be easier to just get an existing 'net retailer to
                      stock and sell Sturmey SA103A.

                      Best,
                      PJ
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 3 11:19 AM
                        Mark;

                        I did a Google search and came up with this source for 00 grease in
                        reasonable quantities. Not listed as synthetic.

                        http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Grease.cfm

                        Amazon also has 3 listings for 00 grade grease in small quantities.
                        Again not specified as synthetic. Looks like used in some lawn
                        mowers and chain saws so a call to a mower/saw repair shop might
                        turn up a local source as the shipping listed by the Amazon sources
                        is not cheap. Also listed as a truck trailer hub grease so a truck
                        repair facility might have it available.

                        Fina also does a OO grade synthetic grease. Listed as Fina Synpro.

                        wrote:

                        > At 3/3/2009 05:43 AM +0000, you wrote:
                        > >Mark;
                        > >
                        > >Permaco lists the SA hub grease. No indication of whether or not
                        in
                        > >stock or the price but an email or phone call might be worthwhile.
                        > >
                        > >Rich Wood
                        >
                        > Thank you. If I can't find a synthetic I'll give them a call.
                        >
                        > BTW inappropriate greases in an SA hub can be disaster. Semi-
                        fluid
                        > grade 00 greases will get drawn into tight fits due to capillary
                        > action but others won't. I've taken apart hubs filled with grease
                        > that had the pawl pins seized in the pawls due to lack of
                        ubrication.

                        > Mark Stonich;
                        > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                        > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                        > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
                        > http://mnhpva.org

                      • henry sheil
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 10 7:14 AM
                          I can certainly vouch for John's statement about 3 in 1 being very bad for hub gears from my own practical experience, but I have also found that a good flush out with WD 40 can work wonders at unsticking the guts, before proceeding to use one's preferred lubricant.

                          Henry in Oz

                          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                          > "3-in-One" debuted during the first great bike boom in 1894, making
                          > it one of the oldest cycling products you can still buy. The oil was
                          > originally intended for bicycle chains, and the name indicated it "1)
                          > cleaned, 2) lubrcated and 3) rust proofed", hence, 3-in-One. After
                          > 115 years, it's still not a bad choice for chain lubration.
                          >
                          > 3-in-One does indeed contain a vegetable based component, citronella
                          > oil (ever notice the way 3-in-One smells?), which will go rancid,
                          > break down and turn into very much a non-lubricant. This residue
                          > would just fall off a chain, but when enclosed in a small metal shell
                          > it has no where to go. Probably more American Sturmeys have been
                          > rendered inoperable by 3-in-One residue than for any other reason.
                          > The 3-in-One folks themselves do not list hub gears as a potential
                          > use for their product.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > PJ
                          >
                          > PS - In the 1920s, pioneer American Birth control advocate Margaret
                          > Sanger was married to then president of the 3-in-One Oil company, J.
                          > Noah Slee. She smuggled illegal European-made diaphragms into the
                          > USA in secretly coded barrels of the citronella oil imported by 3-in-
                          > One!

                        • rons_hobbies
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                            My ignorance of organic chemestry is now "out in the wild." Never would have thought the < 3% ammount of citronella oil would be sufficent to leave a residue. Makes me think heat is also a factor.

                            Thanks,

                            And my Public Health practioner GF will appriciate the factoid on Ms. Sanger.

                            Ron

                            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                            > "3-in-One" debuted during the first great bike boom in 1894, making
                            > it one of the oldest cycling products you can still buy. The oil was
                            > originally intended for bicycle chains, and the name indicated it "1)
                            > cleaned, 2) lubrcated and 3) rust proofed", hence, 3-in-One. After
                            > 115 years, it's still not a bad choice for chain lubration.
                            >
                            > 3-in-One does indeed contain a vegetable based component, citronella
                            > oil (ever notice the way 3-in-One smells?), which will go rancid,
                            > break down and turn into very much a non-lubricant. This residue
                            > would just fall off a chain, but when enclosed in a small metal shell
                            > it has no where to go. Probably more American Sturmeys have been
                            > rendered inoperable by 3-in-One residue than for any other reason.
                            > The 3-in-One folks themselves do not list hub gears as a potential
                            > use for their product.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            > PJ
                            >
                            > PS - In the 1920s, pioneer American Birth control advocate Margaret
                            > Sanger was married to then president of the 3-in-One Oil company, J.
                            > Noah Slee. She smuggled illegal European-made diaphragms into the
                            > USA in secretly coded barrels of the citronella oil imported by 3-in-
                            > One!

                          • Andrew Curl
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                              I am no great chemist. Oil is oil is oil; since we discovered that black stuff coming out of the ground, we've just been adding different additives to it so it does what we want. I don't care how long 3 in 1 has been about, it is still crap. The lighter fractions evaporate off quite quickly, and the oily residue is all that is left. If you water your ride to satuaration point weekly, not a problem. Everyone else, use motor mower oil.

                              -Andrew