Mounting an output sprocket on an Alfine 8

  • gordonKoppang
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2012
      I just posted a couple of pics of the Alfine 8 hub in my Sinner Comfort trike (see the album Gord's Miscellany). I haven't taken the hub out or removed the output sprocket – but I'm pretty sure they are using Shimano's centerlock disc adapter to mount the sprocket. Does anyone have experience with this setup? The Sinner trike is made in Holland. I would like to hear from any members of this group who live in Holland or who are familiar with Sinner trikes. Sinner's customer service is the worst I have ever encountered. They do not answer emails (or if they respond to an email, their response almost never includes an answer to your question). Calling them is not practical since I'd have to call them at 2:00 AM my time. At some point I would like to change the output sprocket on the hub or perhaps the final drive sprocket on the axle – both are 28t at the moment.

      Cheers,

      Gordon
    • Alex Wetmore
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2012
        Can you take some good photos of the hub mounted on the trike? Chances are that the right cog is a still a standard IGH cog, and those are readily available in many many sizes.

        Is the hub mounted in at an intermediate shaft or in a wheel? If it is at an intermediate shaft then changing that cog would lower all of the gears on the bike.

        My guess is that the left cog has a 6 bolt ISO mounting pattern and then is mounted to a centerlock to ISO adapter. Adapters and cogs are somewhat easily available.

        alex
[...]

      • Colin Bryant
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2012
          No experience with the setup, but I can see the circlip so I'm guessing it's a standard sprocket.  The centerlock system takes far more torque during braking, than it'll ever see in a drive train.

          --

          Colin Bryant
          Vancouver, Canada