Re: File - Please Be Active decision 5sp or 7sp for moultie

    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 1, 2009
      Jim;

      Welcome to the group. Sounds like an interesting gathering at ye
      olde brew pub.

      I agree with PJ that hub choice needs to be governed largely by
      dropout width as it sounds like you want to be able to shift back
      and forth between the duomatic wheel and the wheel with the greater
      number of speeds. What is the inside frame width between your rear
      hub mounting points?

      As an example the SRAM 5 speed is 122mm wide between the locknuts.
      I chose it for use in a FG frame so that I could also still use the
      FG wheel or the S3X 3 speed FG hub that I hope to get once they are
      available.

      The SA XRD5 is listed as available in two widths. The 171.2mm axle
      version is 113.7mm OLD while the 180mm axle version lists as 130.4mm
      OLD. What actul availability of the narrow version is I have no
      idea. I am pretty sure Mark Stonich can answer that as he is in the
      bike business and very familiar with SA hubs.

      For a small wheel bike such as yours another candidate is the SA
      XRF8 eight speed. Per the SA web site it is available as narrow as
      116mm OLD.

      All the hubs with >5 speeds from Shimano and SRAM are listed as for
      130mm or 135mm dropouts, probably too wide for your application.

      Hope that this info proves useful in making a choice.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay"

      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 1, 2014
        This group can only be a success through members being active contributors to
        the group. If and when you disagree with me feel free to say so, politely of
        course!

        All members are encouraged to take part in discussions, post photos and both use
        and contribute to the Links and Files areas. Two Databases are also available
        for member use.

        When posting please trim off the oldest posts in a thread to keep it from
        growing too long. This is a help to members who choose to receive posts as a
        daily summary.

        Thanks to all members for joining and taking an active part in the group.

        I note that a few members have joined and then quit w/o posting. If the group
        is not meeting your needs or expectations then please post with your questions
        and/or group expectations.

        Rich Wood
        Group Owner
        03/25/09