Shifter mount

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2012
        At the Philadelphia Bike Expo today I saw a beautiful Rohloff shifter set-up made by Belinky. It was attached to the righthand end of the drop bar on a brand new stainless steel tandem. Just rest your hand on it and rotate, not too dissimilar from bar end shifting with a derailleur.

        David Dannenberg
      • Dallas Blair
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 28, 2012
          I was there at the Expo and saw that tandem, but didn't notice it had a Rohloff hub. I've been so enamored by my own derailleur equipped Bilenky tandem (Flickr photo set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefamilyalbum/sets/72157630220825872/), there are few that turn my head these days...

          Perchance, did you get any pictures of the shifter setup on the tandem? I'm quite interested to see it.

          Dallas

          On Oct 28, 2012, at 9:35 PM, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

          At the Philadelphia Bike Expo today I saw a beautiful Rohloff shifter set-up made by Belinky. It was attached to the righthand end of the drop bar on a brand new stainless steel tandem. Just rest your hand on it and rotate, not too dissimilar from bar end shifting with a derailleur.

          David Dannenberg

        • freetobike2012
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
            I saw the same bike at the Cirque last june.
            I wrote down the name of the firm the gal (Isis??)said made it.
            Hubub.
            I googled and there is such a device but they list it as out of stock (and I'm not sure they're still in business as my e-mail to them bounced back)
            The adapter would allow the use of the nexus 7 or nexus-alfine 8 shifter with drop bars.
            Rich M

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

            > At the Philadelphia Bike Expo today I saw a beautiful Rohloff shifter set-up made by Belinky. It was attached to the righthand end of the drop bar on a brand new stainless steel tandem. Just rest your hand on it and rotate, not too dissimilar from bar end shifting with a derailleur.
            >
            > David Dannenberg

          • Cycle Monkey
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
              The Hubbub adapters are readily available.  They offer a simple solution for using a twist shifter on a drop bar.  There is an expansion wedge that goes into the end of the bar and a cylindrical extension that extends the bar and is sized to accept a 22.2mm twist shifter.  The adapters are offered in two length - a longer one for the Shimano or other twist shifters and a shorter one sized for the Rohloff shifter.  I keep the Rohloff version in stock.

              Co-Motion officially released their road bar-specific twist shifter at Interbike last month.  These are oversized shifters that can be manipulated around the bends of a drop bar.  The shifter will clamp to the largest section of the bar near the stem for maximum hand room on the tops.  The first run will have a 31.8mm clamp diameter only, but a subsequent run will include a 26.0mm option.

              R&E/Rodriguez Cycles offers a threadless headset spacer with a cylinder welded on that accepts the Rohloff shifter.  This option positions the shifter on the steering column and frees you up to run any style of bar you want.

              Neil

              --
              Neil Flock
              Owner

              Cycle Monkey
              * Rohloff Service Partner
              * Custom Wheelbuilding
              * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
                Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
                Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
                Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

              www.cyclemonkey.com
              cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
              Albany, CA 94706
              510-868-1777

            • Alex Wetmore
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                If you have access to a lathe (or know someone who does) it is trivial to make a lightweight extension for a drop bar that is epoxied in place.  This option is a lot cheaper and lighter than the Hub-Bub adapter and it never rotates and loosens up.  I make these by starting with 7/8" x something heavy (like 0.095") then turning down the outside diameter until it is a slip fit into the end of the bars.  Then epoxy it into place.  Sometimes it can be good to trim down the end of the bar first, so that the shifter isn't extending out too far.

                Having just complained about the Hub Bub adapter this reminds me that I have one that I don't need.  It is in good condition.  If anyone is interested I'll sell it for $30 (half of the current going price), plus $5 for shipping.

                alex

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                  What Alex describes is what the Belinky folks did: machined a piece and glued it in. You could not have seen this particular one at another show as he made it last week. It is for a Rohloff by the way if that matters to anyone.

                  David Dannenberg--in the calm after (or perhaps the eye of) the storm in Philadelphia.
                • bikealfa
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                    I fail to comprehend how anyone can use a twist shifter on a dropped bar in any position. I have detested everything I have tried, which includes the hubbub style and a custom mount that replaces a brake lever (possible because I do coasters with IGH). I never liked stem shifters when they were levers, and the effort of gripping a 1.5 inch diameter something in that awkward position and then rotating it while attempting to ride a bicycle just seems ridiculous. And when I ride dropped bars I am usually on the drops or on the hoods, so moving to the center near the stem to shift seems equally silly, even discounting the same issue of twisting the wrist while gripping something.

                    And I do not like bar-ends either. The old S.A. trigger mounted under the brake lever worked OK. The old Sachs 7 speed triggers worked OK too, although that was only semi-dropped.

                    The 8 speed brifter works great with a travel agent and the Nexus 8 but it does seem silly when it is not connected to a brake - it is on a coaster brake bike ...

                    I do have a dropped-bar Rohloff with the Edsan electric shifting available for someone in the Boston MA area who wants to figure out how to make it shift correctly. I cannot get it tuned to shift exactly once per button push. I do not like the Rohloff enough to put the effort in. It just feels like pedalling a rubber band.

                    This can be regarded as a plea for shifters other than twist grips.

                    Michael Wilson

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

                    > If you have access to a lathe (or know someone who does) it is trivial to make a lightweight extension for a drop bar that is epoxied in place. This option is a lot cheaper and lighter than the Hub-Bub adapter and it never rotates and loosens up. I make these by starting with 7/8" x something heavy (like 0.095") then turning down the outside diameter until it is a slip fit into the end of the bars. Then epoxy it into place. Sometimes it can be good to trim down the end of the bar first, so that the shifter isn't extending out too far.
                    >
                    > Having just complained about the Hub Bub adapter this reminds me that I have one that I don't need. It is in good condition. If anyone is interested I'll sell it for $30 (half of the current going price), plus $5 for shipping.
                    >
                    > alex
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Alex Wetmore
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                      I'm sorry that the rotary shifter doesn't work for you. I find it to be very natural, if anything it is more natural than a standard barend shifter. It is a quick drop of my hand to the shifter, rotate, and go back.

                      The Rohloff shouldn't feel like an elastic band either. Maybe it's time to give up on it and use your preferred drive train?

                      I do agree with you that I don't get Rohloff twist shifters that are mounted on the flat portion of the handlebars near the stem. That requires moving my hand, rotating the wrist, and moving to a part of the bar where I'm now far from brake levers and functional steering. I've tried it and it just doesn't work for me. However I'm guessing that it works for some, or there wouldn't be so many solutions that try to mount the shifter there.

                      alex
                      I fail to comprehend how anyone can use a twist shifter on a dropped bar in any position. I have detested everything I have tried, which includes the hubbub style and a custom mount that replaces a brake lever (possible because I do coasters with IGH). I never liked stem shifters when they were levers, and the effort of gripping a 1.5 inch diameter something in that awkward position and then rotating it while attempting to ride a bicycle just seems ridiculous. And when I ride dropped bars I am usually on the drops or on the hoods, so moving to the center near the stem to shift seems equally silly, even discounting the same issue of twisting the wrist while gripping something.

                      And I do not like bar-ends either. The old S.A. trigger mounted under the brake lever worked OK. The old Sachs 7 speed triggers worked OK too, although that was only semi-dropped.

                      The 8 speed brifter works great with a travel agent and the Nexus 8 but it does seem silly when it is not connected to a brake - it is on a coaster brake bike ...

                      I do have a dropped-bar Rohloff with the Edsan electric shifting available for someone in the Boston MA area who wants to figure out how to make it shift correctly. I cannot get it tuned to shift exactly once per button push. I do not like the Rohloff enough to put the effort in. It just feels like pedalling a rubber band.

                      This can be regarded as a plea for shifters other than twist grips.

                      Michael Wilson

                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

                      > If you have access to a lathe (or know someone who does) it is trivial to make a lightweight extension for a drop bar that is epoxied in place. This option is a lot cheaper and lighter than the Hub-Bub adapter and it never rotates and loosens up. I make these by starting with 7/8" x something heavy (like 0.095") then turning down the outside diameter until it is a slip fit into the end of the bars. Then epoxy it into place. Sometimes it can be good to trim down the end of the bar first, so that the shifter isn't extending out too far.
                      >
                      > Having just complained about the Hub Bub adapter this reminds me that I have one that I don't need. It is in good condition. If anyone is interested I'll sell it for $30 (half of the current going price), plus $5 for shipping.
                      >
                      > alex
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Dan Burkhart
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                        I've recently become enamoured with bullhorn bars. When I converted my Sakai with the 8 speed SA to bullhorns, I made my own bar end adapter by filing down a length of MTB handlebar and fixing it in place with epoxy. Looks clunky, but works great.
                        I made a video to demonstrate.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCUT6bM5D0
                      • aarons_bicycle_repair
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                          Back in the day (aka 1988)
                          a new company called Gripshift came around to bike shops and gave the employees free shifters. They came in different models for different brand derailleurs and they came with collars for different size handlebars. I installed them on my road drop bars. The cables came out the front like a normal bar-con. You would tape over part of the housing like a standard modern barcon too. The housing left the shifter right at the bar surface.

                          I found them quite natural. One bennefit was that I could shift out of the saddle with my knee. The index shifting made that possible. I could also dump gears quickly during a hill transition.
                          The very first Gripshift I ever saw was red hard plastic. The free-to-shop employees were black. I remember you had to install the foam grip tape yourself. Later they came factory installed and later still rubber.

                          I think if Rohloff is listening, they could go to a community or used bike shop, find an example of the first Gripshift and copy the design for road use. It would look much better and be more ergonomic and sleek than the current shifter with a Hubbub.

                          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bikealfa" <mtwils@...> wrote:

                          > I fail to comprehend how anyone can use a twist shifter on a dropped bar in any position.
                        • Paulos, Richard G
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                            You remember those early Gripshift shifters were VERY noisy. Scott Dickson was a Gripshift sponsored racer and he would have to drop to the back of a pack out of ear shot to upshift prior to his inevitable attack.

                            Rick.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2012
                              Actually, I don't remember them being noisy at all!
                              I followed the included instructions and used Vasaline (well I used Neosporine since it came in a handy tube and did not want my shifters to get an infection!). This was before SRAM introduced Jonnisnot. The petroleum jelly silenced the shifters.

                              This reminds me of a common occurrence in our shop. A customer walks his race bike in the door and all we can hear is click-click-click from his back wheel. Some are quite loud. We tell him if he knows they should be silent. 5 minutes and some Phil Wood Oil and he (or she) is quite amazed! The rear wheel spins faster and with NO NOISE! Most hubs come with little or zero lube in the freewheel mechanism. Many IGH too. For example, I just opened the freewheel ratchet on a NuVinci 360 and it had no lube at all. On those hubs mix a little grease in with the Phil Wood Oil, or just use Phil Grease. that mechanism is not well sealed and I expect many to rust out due to NuVinci's lack of factory lube. It is very easy to lube an N360. Just use a pokey-spoke to remove the little clip and pull off the freehub body.

                              Lack of factory lube is done for one reason: So lube will not leak out during shipping. The hub maker boxes up the hubs and ships them to the wheel building factory and then the wheel building factory ships them to the bike builder or distributor(or they sit on a shelf in the same warehouse until needed). Either way they sit in cardboard boxes.
                              It is up to the final assemble of the bicycle to ensure enough lube is where it needs to be. Since bicycle seals are weak because humans are week compared to internal combustion, it is totally NORMAL for some lube to leak out of any bearing. A dry rag is your tool there!