Rohloff 8-spd link?? - Triple Chain Ring on a Schlumpf

  • John Harvey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
      It is very difficult to add multiple chain rings to a Schlumpf.  His website says not to do it at all, but obviously it could be done with some fabrication of brackets.  But more importantly it is just about pointless in terms of gearing.  Right now I have a 34 tooth chain ring on my Schlumpf drive, when I shift into overdrive I have a virtual 85 tooth ring.  I've never seen a double or triple chain ring set that covers the range from 34 to 85 teeth.  So even if you put on a lot of extra chain rings you aren't going to add much in terms of range.

      John Harvey
    • Cycle Monkey
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
        Two chainrings are easy when using a Schlupf drive with a 5-arm spider - just put one on each side of the spider.  Adding a third one requires extra long chainring bolts and spacers.  A steel spider is recommended when using multiple rings.  Adding multiple rings to a SD or HSD with a splined housing and chainring is a different story.

        While adding chainrings wouldn't necessarily double or triple the range, it would expand it.  If you added say a 50T ring along with your 34 (which would be a standard compact road setup), you'd end up with 34, 50, 85, and 125T options out of a HSD or 13.6, 20, 34, and 50T options out of a MD.  Since 34 is the smallest you can go with a 110mm spider, a third ring would have to be larger, maybe a 65 or 66.  Shifting on such a setup would be mediocre at best, but you'd have almost 500% range out of the crankset!

        Neil

        --
        Neil Flock
        Owner

        Cycle Monkey
        * Rohloff Service Partner
        * Custom Wheelbuilding
        * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
          Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
          Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
          Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

        www.cyclemonkey.com
        cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycle-Monkey/304605066248161
        510-868-1777

        Mailing Address:
        713 Solano Avenue
        Albany, CA 94706

        Service Address:
        6501 Fairmount Avenue
        El Cerrito, CA 94530

      • Perry
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
          You can purchase a 33 tooth 110 bcd ring from TA from either Peter White Cycles or Harris Cyclery. The inside bolt area needs to be filed down slightly to fit, but since the rings are aluminum it takes only five minutes or less to get to fit. We also have two 34's that needed to be filed.

          I've had a 33/48 on my Speed Drive, but that gearing was way too high for me. I settled on 33/44 and rarely shifted into my 44 in SD. Didn't like the Speed Drive or High Speed Drive because 27 teeth are as small as you can get and where we ride that's not small enough. We have three Mountain Drives now.

          I've seen numerous Schlumpf Mountain Drives with three ring setups and they should have a steel spyder AND be Cargo drives according to my conversations with Florian Schlumpf. Florian also felt there was no reason to have a steel spyder for two rings as long as the rings were on opposite sides of the spyder.

          On Terry's Cargo Drive MD we've had 33/45/55 rings installed using triplizer bolts, but that was overkill on gears, so we've settled on two ring setups. I've had as large as 33/56 on my MD. As long as you purchase a road double front derailleur it will shift like butter. A triple road or mountain derailleur has ramps on the cage in the wrong spot and shifts poorly. Very poorly!

          We've settled on 33/50 for my MD with a Capreo 9-26 cassette and Terry 34/48 with a 12-27 cassette. 11-34 with Terry's setup was a waste of gears for us. We prefer the closer space gearing of 12-27 or 9-26. I rarely run out of gears at the top and Terry never does (she brakes over 30mph).

          Enjoy,

          Perry

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Cycle Monkey <cyclemonkey@...> wrote:

          > Two chainrings are easy when using a Schlupf drive with a 5-arm spider -
          > just put one on each side of the spider. Adding a third one requires extra
          > long chainring bolts and spacers. A steel spider is recommended when using
          > multiple rings. Adding multiple rings to a SD or HSD with a splined
          > housing and chainring is a different story.
          >
          > While adding chainrings wouldn't necessarily double or triple the range, it
          > would expand it. If you added say a 50T ring along with your 34 (which
          > would be a standard compact road setup), you'd end up with 34, 50, 85, and
          > 125T options out of a HSD or 13.6, 20, 34, and 50T options out of a MD.
          > Since 34 is the smallest you can go with a 110mm spider, a third ring
          > would have to be larger, maybe a 65 or 66. Shifting on such a setup would
          > be mediocre at best, but you'd have almost 500% range out of the crankset!
          >
          > Neil
        • John Harvey